The word, Navajo

Moderator: Jim_b

RockyFrisco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

The word, Navajo

Post by RockyFrisco »

I don't have any confirmation on this, but it will explain why I almost never use the word, "Navajo," and call these people the "Dine," pronounced like "dinneh." An old Hopi told me the story, but I think it's true.

Apparently, when they first arrived in the Four Corners, they were raiders and thieves, as a way of life. They considered themselves above the other people, and considered it their divine right to take from the "weak." The Hopi didn't like to kill in order to protect property, but would kill to protect life. The Dine learned this and began their depredations against the Hopi, mostly, since the Ute and Apache had no such scruples. They made the mistake of hitting some anglo groups, which brought in the US Cavalry. Kit Carson took the whole tribe prisoner and walled them up in Fort Defiance and kept them there for an entire generation, so they would have forgotten how to ride and raid. They were forced to farm corn and beans and raise sheep or starve. Back before this happened, they proudly called themselves "The Dine." They called everybody else a pejorative that roughly meant "dirt-farmer" or "sod-buster." Once they were let back onto the land, the members of other tribes began calling them that derisive word, which was "Navajo."

I don't know if this story is accurate or not, but I accepted it in good faith from somebody that never lied to me, as far as I know.

-Rock
Guz
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The word, Navajo

Post by Guz »

I've heard that as well.

Guz