Mountain Lion Attacks Couple, Dog Saves them

Goldseeker

Mountain Lion Attacks Couple, Dog Saves them

Post by Goldseeker »

This was reported on KCAL9 an LA news station. The couple were walking on a trail in the Santa Ana Mts near the campground where they were camping, about 10 miles from Lake Elsinore, when the 120lb mountain lion charged them. Their dog, a 5 year old black lab mix named Hoagie, intercepted it and saved their lives, said owner William Morse. Morse said he was traumitized by the attack and will never return to the campground where they have been hiking for years. The dog was rushed to a vet where he underwent 4 hours of surgery, for a badly mauled stomach, and was expected to live. OC sherrif spokseman Jim Amormino said the lion, which he said was also hurt as the dog put up a vicious fight, will be destroyed if located.

Thoughts on this:

Truly, mans best friend
Always carry in the wilds
Maybe it had young to protect

This is not the first time this has happened in this area, nor the 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In fact several years ago there was a fatalitie, at least 1 that I personally remember, maybe more.

I have always said in the wilds, esp the desert the 3 things I fear most
Mountain lions
Lightning (I was caught in a sudden thunder and lighting storm in the desert while way up in the mountains once; it came out of nowhere. Lightning striking the ground around us, it was scary)
Snakebite.

Care is a must. The wilderness is no place for the foolish.

You can go to KCAL 9's website and see the story and video
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Mountain Lion Attacks Couple, Dog Saves them

Post by reptilist »

That's heartwarming....What a great story!
(I'd be careful about walking a hoagie through hungry lion country.)