The Great Basin Water Network

Sandman

The Great Basin Water Network

Post by Sandman »

The fight is on in rural Nevada. It's the grassroot farmers and ranchers taking on the big business developers in Las Vegas. Do we realy need more golf courses in Las Vegas at the expense of the livelyhood of rural Nevada residents?

http://www.greatbasinwater.net/

"The Great Basin Water Network was formed to protect the water resources of the Great Basin for current and future residents – human, animal and plant. Organizations, businesses and individuals have banded together to form the Network so that decisions on all water development proposals in the Great Basin are made in the open with caution, coherence and based on the best scientific information. The Great Basin Water Network also works to ensure that decisions are made without undue political and developer special interest pressure."
Last edited by Sandman on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiny

Re: The Great Basin Water Network

Post by spiny »

Golf courses, or lawns of any sort, have no place in the desesrt. I wish the network luck in their struggle against the water barons in Las Vegas, but as they say about the west, "Water flows uphill towards money."
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Sandman, thanks for posting the link. A couple of years ago I was involved in this fight from another front, (with a friend), which we discovered, (but can't prove), is all tied together with the water grab in Southern Nevada. It's so convoluted that it would be impossible to outline the details here. During our research we amassed documentation and Photos that I have now offered to this group. I'm hoping that they can use this information in their battle against the powerful groups involved in this.

This water grab is a travesty and has the distinct possibilities of destroying the water supplies in central Nevada and elsewhere. I would urge anyone who is interested in helping this group to contact them and at least offer your support if nothing more. Thanks!

If it happens here it will happen where you are as well.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

One of the most magnificent moments in my travels happened one day in the Monitor Valley of central Nevada. We were eating lunch at Diana's Punchbowl enjoying the snow capped views of the Monitor and Toquima Ranges two days after the first snow of the year. Below us was a meadow with a marshy creek meandering through. Cattle were grazing all up and down the valley and mixed in was a herd of over 100 antelope. We sat and watched for about 20 minutes or so before they finished drinking then proceeded to assemble and melt into the sage swept desert to the east. It was late September and yet there was still water along the valley floor in places supporting an intricate ecosystem of life in the desert.

Most people think of Nevada as a barren waste land based upon what they see rolling up the highway to Las Vegas or St George. The real Nevada is located in the basin and range country where a series of high mountains tower over valleys that seem to sweep into the horizon. Taking time to explore a little, I found hidden creeks lined with aspen trees with cut-throat trout hiding under grassy banks. The tracks of elk were in the mud nearby marking their recent passing. On the fringes of daylight, large numbers of deer can be seen grazing around the edges of the pinyon forest. In the high country of some of these ranges, bristle cone pine trees stand sentinal against the onslaught of nature and endure several millenniums, watching the dust devils dance on the dry dusty playas far below. And at night, the stars come out and illuminate the earth with the infinite vastness of the universe.

The treasure of Nevada is within the heart of the basin and range country with it's rough dirt roads and rugged wild nature. It's not for everyone but there is something about it that calls me back time and time again. For first timers, I would suggest exploring the Great Basin National Park. Getting there is an experience all in itself if one takes the time to stop and explore the vast wildness of Nevada.
Last edited by Sandman on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:
Ever read "Cadillac Desert"? It's happened before. More than 100 yrs. ago Los Angeles drained the Owens Valley.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

yuccahead wrote:
Plays In The Dirt wrote:
Ever read "Cadillac Desert"? It's happened before. More than 100 yrs. ago Los Angeles drained the Owens Valley.
Yes, I remember learning about that some time ago. Things like this really need to be stopped and there's no better time than now.
spiny

Post by spiny »

Yuccahead mentioned a great book. I heartily recommend "Cadillac Desert" to everyone who is interested in water issues of the west. On the subject of books, anyone interested in the geology of this spectacular region will probably enjoy John McPhee's "Basin and Range." He's one of our best nature writers, or writers period.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

What can we do to help?

"Decisions on water projects are being made every day – by local governments, state legislatures, and congress. Use our Web site to stay informed on news and events and actions you can take. Help us spread knowledge of the problems of grabbing rural water and support sustainable communities through conservation and reuse and oppose exporting rural water to support urban sprawl."

Sign our online petition to show your opposition to the water grabs http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nowatergrab/