Are the stone Maps Authentic or are they a Hoax?

Moderator: gollum

Jim Hatt

Re: Are the stone Maps Authentic or are they a Hoax?

Post by Jim Hatt »

SH,

I think I would swap all the gold for diamonds. They are just as easy to sell (anywhere on the planet) and a lot lighter to haul around. :D

Jim
somehiker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by somehiker »

And so easy to hide too.Aquarium,toilet tank,goldfish bowl or upyerbutt...oo,ow.No worse than Joe's chili,though.Won't set them darn airport detectors off either.....and besides,I been told the ladies love em.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: SH. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

somehiker wrote: No worse than Joe's chili,
I've been told that his chili is purrrrrrty good stuff!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Jim Hatt wrote:
I never got the chance to try it.....no leftovers.....but I did find that it was real easy to track those that did. :shock:

Regards:SH.
historybuff

Post by historybuff »

This is my first posting here and look forward to reading all of the information and stories that you folks share about the history,lore,and love of the Superstitions.
Like many of you, I have been mesmerized with "lost or buried treasure" stories since childhood. I read my first account of the LDM in the 50's and other legends (things to be read) :idea: .
After looking at the posted pics of the stone maps. My first thought was how smart. Stone is almost forever, ( paper, animal skins, wood, Cd's, ect ) not to long in the grand scheme of things. :lol:
The beauty of the complexity is apparent. One thing that flashed in my mind was the holes. Has any one considered that these holes may be holders for wood rods to be used as sighting tools? Just a humble observation question, your comments. Shades of Indiana Jones. :lol:

Bill
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Bill and Welcome to the forums!!!

It is usually one's first impression of the Stone Maps that sticks. Not always, but way more often than not. My first impression was about the same as your appears to be. I was IMPRESSED!

Anyone who has ever tried to cut their initials into solid rock (and I have) knows well how hard it is to do, how long it takes to do it, and how terrible it looks when you are finished. :lol:

My first thought when I looked at the maps was... This was not the first time the person that made them had done stone engraving. He had all the right tools, and many years of experience using them.

Like yourself, the holes were one of the first things that caught my attention. THEY HAVE TO BE THERE TO PUT SOMETHING INTO.

We have a heart shaped stone that fits into the heart shaped cavity. There has to be something to fit into the other cut outs. I believe you are on the right track thinking of sighting pointers, but try as I have. I can't imagine any logical way to use them. My guess, is that they would be an aid to anyone winding their way through the mountains towards the end of the trail, if he knew how to use them. However... I don't think they are absolutely necessary to achieve that goal, so I don't pay much attention to them. Except... The big one! A lot of work went into that one compared to the others. It is cut so deep that the amount of rock left in the bottom of the hole is less than 1/4 inch thick. The map maker wanted that hole there very badly, to go to all that trouble, and risk breaking the stone in the process.

Yes, as you said... "The beauty and complexity is apparent". Same as the quality of craftsmanship! They have proven to be an inspiration to some, and a nightmare to others. Personally, I have experienced BOTH!

The deeper you get into them, the more inspiring they become, and the bigger the nightmare gets. :lol:

Busca El Coazon my new friend. Hope you continue to enjoy the site and share your thoughts often.

Jim
gollum

Post by gollum »

Welcome,

The only way that I can fathom to use the Stone Maps with sighting sticks/rods, would be at a certain place, there would be a rectangular indention in either bedrock or a large flat rock. Insert the Stone Maps into that indention and then insert the rod/s into the holes and sight by them.

I don't think that would really be the meaning for the holes, but since I haven't solved the Stone Maps Riddle, your theory is as good as anybody else's. HAHAHA

Best-Mike
gollum

Post by gollum »

Jim Hatt wrote:I don't know if there is any case history that would apply to this situation. If anyone ever found a buried Jesuit cache in the past. They probably just kept their mouth shut, and sailed happily off into the sunset with it!

:D

Jim
Jim,

There are a couple that I know of. One was found by Chuck Kenworthy (1028 silver bars), and the other by a friend South of Tucson in 1986 (82 pounds of gold bars).

Gold Bars Pic:

These are some of the 82 pounds. There was a B&W Article in Treasure Mag in 1986 about it, but I am the first person he ever let make HiRes Color Scans of his 35mm Pics. I haven't even added them to my website yet. Enjoy.

Here is a B&W of the only known picture of one of the Kenworthy Bars:

Best-Mike
gollum

Post by gollum »

Oh,

The gold bars are 2" x 2" and 2" x 4"

Mike