Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by silent hunter »

SuperstitionGuy wrote:I don't know if a small rope circling your bedroll will accomplish that but I do know that if you put a small rope under your buddy's bedroll and slowly begin to pull it out after he beds down that he will jump out of that sleeping bag real quick! :lol: :lol: :lol:

L.M.A. OFF!!!! I needed that today. Thank you so much!! The old cowboys claim that a snake wont cross a rope. The snakes think it is another snake, but if you've ever seen a snake den you'd know that aint so!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

SuperstitionGuy wrote:I don't know if a small rope circling your bedroll will accomplish that but I do know that if you put a small rope under your buddy's bedroll and slowly begin to pull it out after he beds down that he will jump out of that sleeping bag real quick! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're so BAD Owen! :lol:

I'm glad we did not spend the night when we went looking for Jesse Capen together :? :lol: :o !
East Wind

Post by East Wind »

Well I'll try and stay smart and not put that trick to the test. I thought you guys would get a laugh out of that :D ....Dee
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Well, I am happy and sad at the same time.

I'm sorry he got hurt - I'm happy things got taken care of quickly.

It IS the people that do it alot that quite often have that lapse in judgement - especially when we are in an area we have been in many times. There are many things out there that are just waiting to "bite us in the butt" (and not just snakes).

I'm glad things turned out.

Beth (Mrs. O)
javaone

Post by javaone »

Mrs O wrote:
There are many things out there that are just waiting to "bite us in the butt" (and not just snakes).
Just like TradClimber having a STROKE while on the side of a cliff last weekend...
You never know what or when or how you'll get bit.

Jerry

P.S. Did you know that Tradclimber is, and i Quote: "20 years as lead climber and past president of the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit".
blacksha

Post by blacksha »

Amazing story and glad you survived it. Feel better.

Lonne
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

No Dee, it is definitely not true!
:shock:

Very interesting story...It appears to me that he didn't get too bad of an envenomation.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

I find rattlesnake envenomation an interesting topic. Many rattlesnake bites are dry socket bites when no venom is injected. Sometimes very little venom is injected. I have several photographs of serious envenomation of fingers, hands and legs taken when I was involved with the Snake Alert program with our school district. I have found one of the best sources of information to be Dr. Russell Findley's book "Snake Venom Poisoning" a desk reference for medical physicians. I still have a copy of this book.
Many victims of rattlesnake envenomation are lucky because very little venom is injected. Always watch where you place your hands, feet, and particularly where you sit or squat. I know a story of a women who didn't want to use a public rest room at rest stop on I-10 (actually sometimes I couldn't blame her) and decided to go behind the facility. The results was an envenomation by a large Western Diamond-Back rattlesnake, Crotalus atrox. The woman was over-weight and did not seek treatment until she arrived in Los Angles. As a results of the envenomation she had internal organ failure and past away four days after the bite. This is one of the rare fatalities associated with the Western Diamond-Back rattlesnake.

I hope you find this short story interesting.

Tom K.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Dr. Russell Findley, now that's a name I haven't heard for some time.
Back late 60s or very early 70s the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit had a set of very graphic 35mm slides of a SAR personnel that was envenomated by a large female WDB. The first slide was before the envenomation and the last was 2 months later. The first slide was this SAR person (fool and not a member of RMRU) holding a WDB in each hand posing for the photo. One snake wiggle enought to turn around and envenomate the web between the thumb and forefinger. We air lifted him out and few him directly to Dr. Russell Findley for treatment.

Long story short and 2 months later: He lost the use of his thumb and all flesh was gone between the thumb and forefinger back to the wrist. Dr. Russell Findley said it was the second worst envenomation that he had seen in which the victim had survived.

The poor snake didn't fare as well. She was killed.

TradClimber
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Trad......I had the opportunity to meet Dr. Findely on several occasions over the years at U of A Medical Center. I work closely with Jude McNally, Poison Control Center, for several years starting around 1974. I recall a talk Dr. Findley gave about the Riverside Search & Rescue and the snake bite victim. I don't recall when he made the presentation however. Dr. Findely treated some really severe envenomations by Western Diamond Backs. One of the worst envenomations I ever witnessed was an older gentleman in Blythe, California around 1981. He was bitten on the hand. The man had a reaction to both the anti-venom and the snake's venom. Anti-venom in those days was made from horse serum. It is kind of cool to find somebody out there that remembers Findely. As far as I know he is still alive and living down near Portal, Arizona. Dr. John Sullivan did a lot of research in the late 80's and 90's on a anti-venom made from a synthetic-type serum. This anti-venom serum could be used by a person allergic to horse serum.

Enjoyed your comment Trad.

Tom K.