Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountains!

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountain

Post by TradClimber »

Guys,
He’s probably under the sand from the flash flooding that was happening at the time and not far from where he went missing. Most likely hung up between two boulders by the wrist, ankle or head and is under the sand.

TradClimber
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I agree with the tradclimber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will be found when the summer winds blow all that sand around again.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

TradClimber wrote:Guys,
He’s probably under the sand from the flash flooding that was happening at the time and not far from where he went missing. Most likely hung up between two boulders by the wrist, ankle or head and is under the sand.

TradClimber

Tom K. told me the same thing yesterday. When him and his wife were walking around in Tortilla Creek last Sunday, they both noticed all the new sandbars in the creekbed that weren't there before. They are really piled high this year! He said his dog started digging in one of them, but when he got a stick, and started helping him, the dog quit digging, so he quit too. A little bit of that, goes a long ways! :lol:
SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

By the way I will be arriving in Arizona next week to continue the search for Jesse and welcome anyone to join me in that effort. And that offer includes Tom Hron. I will be hiking to Fish Creek Cave to eliminate that as a possibility as to where Jesse might be and I would like to knock of the trap in Trap Canyon as well.

Cheers and happy hiking to all....

Reference to blog content have been removed - but I left your important information - Beth
Last edited by SuperstitionGuy on Sat May 01, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhine1784

Post by rhine1784 »

Just read the last few pages of posts in this thread as I've been absent for a while.

One thing I have heard for is that some folks in that area had on occasion heard what sounded like muffled blasting noises. Obviously anything is possible at this point, but I also wonder if he stumbled on to someones work sight and saw something he shouldn't have.

I haven't been out since early April and it's only getting hotter :? so before too long I'll be on summer hiatus...

Ryan
SuperstitionGuy

A number of people have heard the rumblings of what they think may be blasting. Information posted on another site strongly suggests that what we have been hearing is explosions from the military artillery range which is south of the Superstitions and south of the highway that goes to Globe.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Guys,

We're dealing with a person missing from an area that was known to be flash flooding at the time.

Best bet of finding him now would be to use trained cadaver dogs in the bottom of the drainages, starting with the ones closest to his camp. Metal detectors might be of some use if he was wearing a belt. Also, when searching, look up in the sky for buzzards.

TradClimber
SuperstitionGuy

Sups Guy has arrived. I drove straight through today from Salt Lake City. Saturday morning I will be taking my two oldest grandsons to search, hike, swim and check out a cave downstream of where Jesse parked his vehicle.

Monday I plan on hiking to and back from Fish Creek Cave. Still need a ride from 88 and the Tortilla Trailhead to the end of the road past the old Tortilla Ranch site. Are there any volunteers out there?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Owen,

Glad you had a safe trip! I won't be able to make it tomorrow.
Did you check with Robert Cooper to see if he has any people going in there in the morning?

Jim
SuperstitionGuy

I have not heard back from Robert Cooper or any members of the SSAR team yet. I now have a man from hikearizona.com that will be going with me on Monday morning up Fish Creek.

Is there still flow in Tortilla creek below Peters Trailhead? If not have the pools turned green yet? I don't want to take the grandsons through stagnet water tomorrow.