Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Cecil Tidwell Snake Bite - 2010

Post by TradClimber »

Rep, Mescal would be a secondary part of any snake bite treatment I would want to receive in Mexico. My primary treatment that I would want in Mexico would be Lophophora williamsii administered by Carlos Castaneda.

TradClimber

PS: I still have my Cutter's snakebite suction kit and it still goes with me when I go packing in the desert.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You should throw that cutter snakebite kit away!
They don't do you any good, in fact, they cause more damage.

I'd be afraid of having a permanent out of body experience following the Yaqui way.
Carlos died a few years back and Don Juan Mateus...Well now, we can't be sure now can we?
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
You should throw that cutter snakebite kit away!
They don't do you any good, in fact, they cause more damage.
I know, but I'm from the old school.
Have you seen the Extractor Pump?
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/B6B.htm
http://www.sawyerproducts.com/Documents ... ooklet.pdf

Trad
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

TradClimber wrote:I'd be afraid of having a permanent out of body experience following the Yaqui way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A big mouth full of Pepsi just got sprayed all over my monitor AND keyboard!
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Trad...
Yes, the extractor has been shown to be effect for stings from bugs. But for snakebite, it increases local damage by pulling and 'concentrating' the venom into a small area. The venom joins the lymphatic system nearly on contact and spreads, so actually being able to get venom out would require immediate action, and then you'll probably end up with a great big hole where the bite was. (Increased local damage.) Medical professionals do not endorse it.

Out in the middle of nowhere...If no help was forthcoming for a long time... Or in case of something neurotoxic, like a bite from a Mojave, I'd probably use it myself if it was immediately available.

Got that mess cleaned up yet, Jim?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

What a mess Terry!

I did the best I could with the keyboarddddddddddddd. The monitor waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas no problem. but mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy keyboard keys arrrrrre beggggggggggggining to SSSSSSSSSSSSStick.

:lol:
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
Now and then I read references to some good snakebite medicine originating in Mexico. (No, Tradclimber, I'm not talking about mescal.)
I'll bite.
What are some?

TradClimber
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

The Epi-pen, like mentioned, is for beestings (for me), however, it is good, and works for any allergic reaction to an insect or other things. (like spider bites, etc) but, only for emergency use. It is adrenaline, pretty much. If I am going to get a reaction to a beesting, I know it right away. I'm so allergic, that, the instant I get stung, I cannot even tell where I got stung, because it hurts in every part of my body. If I get stung with one that I'm not going to get a reaction to, then, it just hurts like a regular sting - in fact - I've never had a reaction to a bumblebee (though I have been stung twice), and I haven't ever had a reaction to a wasp. Yellow jackets - eeerrrr - and some honeybees, seem to be the culprits for me. So, I also carry Benadryl also, all the time. Sometimes, especially with a local reaction, benadryl will do the trick.

They were looking at putting it over the counter, but, so far, it hasn't happened, and I get a new prescription every year.
My insurance pays for it, I co-pay 8 bucks for 4 of them, and sometimes, my doctor has had some on hand and just given them to me, so I'm not really sure what they cost straight out. They come in .2, .3 and .4 mg shots, depending on your level of allergy, I usually carry .3. They also now have an epipen fort of thing that is capable of 2 shots. Its a regular hypodermic needle, you give yourself one shot, and, if it doesn't do the trick, you turn the barrel and you can do a second shot. I've never had to do that - one shot, and within seconds, you call tell it is working. I like the epipen better, only because you can just stab it into your own leg, right through clothes, and it doesn't need any messing around with.

I taught everyone I work with how to use it (just in case they find me someday layed out looking like the pillsbury dough boy). :roll:

Beth (Mrs. O)
gordon c. snelling

Post by gordon c. snelling »

Rep, Carlos would have been a very sore subject to bring up with my father. He was pretty adamant that everything out of his mouth was a bunch of hooey, including his ability (or lack) to speak Yaqui
reptilist wrote: I'd be afraid of having a permanent out of body experience following the Yaqui way.
Carlos died a few years back and Don Juan Mateus...Well now, we can't be sure now can we?
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Hey Gordon.... Who's your daddy?
:lol: