The Lost Adams Diggings

Moderator: Jim_b

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The Lost Adams Diggings

Post by silent hunter »

Roy I never share my treasures with people. I will share everything else. If I new you personally i would be able to enlighten you a bit more. I make reference to the lost Adams diggings in the thread. Do you know anything about two Guns trading post??? The area around the old river is now become a vast desert in constant motion. Sand has covered up time and in some instances presents its treasures. The Mormans forever changed everything about the area including were the forts were and also were the trading post was. You are on the same page as I when you said its more south. One day soon I am going to make another trip there to finish off the Zuni story with photos. Did you notice how the canyon begun in my photos. Read the story Adams own words describing the mouth of the canyon. I was waiting for someone to put togather The lost Adams diggings with my thread but noone caught on....
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigo!

I sure don't know much about Two Guns, have only visited it once and thought it pretty interesting but it seems there is precious little in the "historical record" on it.

The Zuni part is what is throwing everyone, as no mention of the Zuni has ever been in any of the Lost Adams stories in circulation. It would be a mistake to assume that there can't be any connection - just as SO many guys (and gals) only talk Apaches when referring to the Lost Dutchman, when there are possible connections with Navajo (same deal with the LAD - they pick up on Nana and the Apaches attack etc but miss that Nana told Adams that the canyon was originally Navajo, a branch of that tribe that is now darn near extinct, even has a Navajo name). Even Waltz and Weiser both assumed they had been attacked by Apaches, but the devil is in the details! There is no Apache memory of such an attack, what Apache ever left a new shirt after dispatching his enemy, why would the Apaches just let Weiser get away etc. Then check the dates and we find that not only the Apaches fought the Anglos, the Navajos also had a fairly long war. Navajos continued to make horse-stealing raids long after the surrender of Manuelito in 1866. Didn't mean to get off-topic onto the LDM, just there are some parallels and when researching any lost treasure a fellow ought to at least check out other possibilities.

Good luck and good hunting amigo, you are wise NOT to trust strangers (and I sure wouldn't ever trust ME with the exact location of a lost mine! :shock: :o :mrgreen: ) and I look forward to following your adventures. Sure wish I were in AZ, but when I give my word I don't like to let a friend down so will be here a while longer it seems. At least there are a few lost mines and treasures to hunt here in my 'backyard' too, or I really would go nuts fast. :D
Oroblanco
Tayopa

Post by Tayopa »

Good afternoon BETH & oro: You posted --> I sure wouldn't ever trust ME with the exact location of a lost mine!
But I already have, Lat & Long ???? NOW you tell me, sheesh.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Mi Amigo,

You KNOW you are the exception to the rule!! For many reasons. :lol:

Beth (Mrs.O)
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Tayopa wrote:Good afternoon BETH & oro: You posted --> I sure wouldn't ever trust ME with the exact location of a lost mine!
But I already have, Lat & Long ???? NOW you tell me, sheesh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well you know what they say, even the best of us make a mistake now and then! :shock: :o :? :mrgreen:
Roy
Tayopa

Post by Tayopa »

HIO BETH & oro: You posted --> even the best of us make a mistake now and then!
Sheesh,, you are begining to sound like my tiger, except that she doesn't add the 'now and then'. sniff.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Tayopa wrote:HIO BETH & oro: You posted --> even the best of us make a mistake now and then!
Sheesh,, you are begining to sound like my tiger, except that she doesn't add the 'now and then'. sniff.

Don Jose d eLa Mancha
Well even without having yet met El Tigre' - I already know that she is a very wise lady! <After all, look who she chose to trust with her heart!> :mrgreen:
Oroblanco
filemaker01

Post by filemaker01 »

Hello everyone,

I just want to mention, the LAD was in fact found, reported to the governor of NM, law enforcement, local government and BLM besides the various archeology departments at the UNM. BLM finally took an interest after 300 mineral rights claims for gold expired there after a writer that's rather well known now: Ron Jensen, claimed he found it while posting a picture of the Sno Ta Hay canyo map drawn by Adams who gave it to the US Calvary physician who saved him from exposure after walking over a hundred miles on foot to escape being hunted down by the Apaches who were desperately looking for him. I have reason to believe the attach may have been planned well ahead of time by Chief Nana, regardless, the canyon which is a very small canyon, was found much earlier than was suspected unofficially and there is a rather interesting mystery now regarding Ron Jensen. I filed a claim there that I'm planning to use to preserve the area if there is enough gold left, whch I am sure is deep under the canyon floor. I've prospected for thirty years and know how gold is formed over time, which it is the perfect location considering the amount of geothermal and water running into the canyon floor. What's sad is there is evidence that the area may have actually been an ancient burial ground for chiefs going back at least a thousand years or more, however there is a lot of research needed and there are now a lot of people interested in doing such now the area was found. All the surface gold was pinched out a long time ago. It's also unclear as to whether or not Ron Jensen actually found the pot of gold hidden under the fireplace built over a ancient container covered with flagstone. This is one of the most amazing and yet tragic true stories that is worth more than any gold found there and I'm hoping the area will be preserved. The attack on the Adams party was bound to happen, considering it took place during the Apache wars or Native American wars, which the party should have known better than to travel into any of the areas they did to find the place. It's true, the Sno Ta Hay canyon has been found and evidence the pot of gold was also found, but nothing solid as far as pictures or anything that can absolutely prove they found the pot of gold. I'm just glad I was able to help the officials now looking into the place considering if there really is an ancient burial ground there then it's quite illegal to disturb any remains, which may be the case, unfortunately. This is a very sacred area if so, and I hope it will be preserved for everyone to visit and know the story to learn there is a better way. I personally believe the Apache should benefit as much as anyone else if it is a sacred grounds. Anyway, there are many more treasures still out there waiting to be found and just too many to ignore or to forsake to go after one that has already long been found. Best wishes to all my fellow treasure hunters, Sincerely, PA
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello filemaker01 and welcome to the DUSA forums!

It has been a long time since I read the story about the Lost Adams Diggings, but if I remember correctly, the Apaches were content to leave those guys alone as long as they did not go above the waterfall that was upstream from where they were working.

That seemed pretty decent of them to me... Especially since now we know that it was so close to a sacred area.

It is amazing what "Gold Fever" will do to some people.

Thanks for sharing the information and bringing us up to date on the subject. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Best,

Jim
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

I read this book:
“8 Golden Orgie:
Adams Bloody Canyon of Gold”
by Sarah Stuart

Seems like she did lots of research on the Lost Adams.
In the tale of the Lost Adams a Double Butte mountain, I guess,
plays a significant role .
In her research she located all the Double Buttes Mountains in the
vicinity of Arizona and did concentrated searches in those areas.
She listed 12 & it the list caught my eye

12 Twin Peaks in AZ

Gemini Mnts in Mahone just below Kingman
Sonsele Buttes up Navajo Reservation
Twin Peaks near Holbrook & South of Carrizo
Double Mountain-Cherry Creek
Twin Peak-Apache Box North-East of Duncan
[Obscure] the Twin Buttes north of Florence
3 sets around Tucson
and some north of Sells & Douglas
--------------------------------

What caught my eye in the list is an omission!
There is Double Buttes in Tempe AZ
Now I don’t think the lost Adams is there!

But the Double Buttes in Tempe as another tale to tell.
In my research on Dutch’s Ditch~
I came upon a reference of about Jack Swilling
digging in that area.
Supposedly, he was trying to re-dig an old Hohokam canal called the Montezuma Acequia.
But after digging 300 yards or so--
the attempt was given up and he moved on.

O.K. So what’s so interesting about that?

Well I find it strange that a known prospector did all this digging
in Phoenix just for canals. Maybe, there was some other allure?
Still not impressed?

I then found an old Phoenix newspaper article (circa 1912)
that talked of a underground springs in the Double Buttes area.
Underground Springs that the Hohokam obviously knew about
& worked. Geothermal?

Underground springs, prospectors, diggings…hhmmm…
I just found it all so interesting.

Ed