Lonesome Squaw Canyon

Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Lonesome Squaw Canyon

Post by Space Cowboy »

Does anyone know where Lonesome Squaw Canyon is in the Borrego Springs area? It might be called something else today, but it was called Lonesome Squaw in 1946-47. My topo program does not get a hit.

Space Cowboy
yuccahead

Re: Lonesome Squaw Canyon

Post by yuccahead »

Probably not what you're looking for but the map that came in the Lindsay guide(1985 ed.) has a Squaw Canyon near Agua Caliente Hot Spring, just south of the highway.
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

Thanks, Yuccahead. It's from a fictional short-story, so it could be all made up. Still, I wonder if there's some old-timers out there that might remember.

Space Cowboy
Space Cowboy

Post by Space Cowboy »

Okay. Guys. Larry Oliver, the Founder of the Peg Leg Smith Monument and Liars Contest, writing in his Desert Rat Scrap Book, Packet Four of Pouch Two, typos and all:

'The Borego Desert Peg Leg Lost Mine Hunt was a great affair this year. Your Editor is happy that no one found th elost mine so we can have another try January 1st, 1950. (Wouldn't it be hell if someone found it?) The Monument is getting to be quite a pile of rocks, as every searcher places ten stones on the Peg Leg Monument. Ray Hicks, a Desert Hot Springs poet, was winer of the Tall Tale Derby prize, donated by Knott's Ghost Town. As Master of Ceremonies, your Ed. was not in the contest, but retold the story that won me the Oscar at 29 Palms May 29, 1948, which I will defend April 1st (the most appropriate day) at Lonesome Squaw Canyon.'http://www.klaxo.net/hofc/drsb/t024.htm

The Monument, I don't think, has ever been moved. So then, is the immediate area potentially Lonesome Squaw Canyon?