Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountains!

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountain

Post by LDMGOLD »

Beth:

As far as I can see nothing new has surfaced involving the search for Jesse Capen. The last time I was in the area was on June 16th. The only fresh sign we observed was horse tracks on the JF Ranch Trail. I am sure it was a couple of riders and a pack horse headed for Angel Basin and the cliff dwellings in Roger's Canyon. Let's hope the fall weather brings better results in this search.

You doing a fine job keeping us all informed about "missing" persons in the wilderness.

Tom K.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Thanks, Tom,

No, really nothing new. We have started out "sea legs" for our trip out to AZ this fall. (haven't hiked alot, except for chasing cows and sheep, and climbing up 40 foot ladders), so we will be going hiking - starting this week, a couple of days at a time, we hope. (depends on Roy's jury duty schedule).

I try to scan all the news every couple of days for missing folks, and about 8 sites that I go to, who do a similar thing.

I figure a couple of things - one - for us to keep in mind that we are vulnerable (doesn't have to be the desert, doesn't have to be the Supes), and I hope that maybe it will help someone be aware of their surroundings at all times, their situation (which can go from great to bad in 2 seconds) - and maybe someone will find something that pertains to any and all missing folks, not just Jesse.

But, I know, this fall, some of my time will be in the Superstitions - some for myself, and some for Jesse. I know there are a lot of folks who feel the same way - we just have to spend some time looking for ourselves. If we don't, I'm not sure I
could live with myself. (not that we are any better or worse than anyone else - but, the more people that get a look-see,
the more likely he will be found.) We all see things differently - figured this out 35 years ago the first time Roy and I went hunting together. He could always pick out the running, moving objects - instantly - I could always pick out the ones that
were standing still or laying down. I could always pick out the "difference in the surroundings". Terrible to say, but I also
have a much better sense of smell than most people I know. I smelled my way about 1/2 mile to a porcupine den, going strickly on difference in smell.

Everyone sees and moves and hears and smells just a little differently - so, the more people, the better the chances.

Maybe we will see you in October.

Beth (Mrs.O)
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Received today from Cynthia Bernett,

Re: message to families
Thursday, July 22, 2010 8:44 AM

To:"arizona_drifter@yahoo.com"

Jim...this is Cynthia Burnett, Jesse Capen's Mom.

Please post my email address for the families of the three lost Men from Utah.

Thanks

Cynthia Burnetthttp: cb88@comcast.net
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Has anyone been out in the Tortilla country lately looking the area over where Jesse Capen is missing? The last thing I heard was somebody walked down Tortilla Creek to Tortilla Flat. We were out to the Tortilla 2nd Windmill on June 30 and everything was quite dry. There was a little water in Tortilla Creek. The air temperature was quite warm and humid. I am sure the search for Capen will pick up again this fall when the weather cools off. It appears now most of the search focus is on the three missing men from Utah out of First Water. My guess, for what it is worth, the three are within five miles of First Water or they are not in the mountains. I know the search continues out of First Water almost daily by SSAR teams. Good luck to those who dedicate themselves to searching for these poor souls.

Tom K.
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

Tom, Jim and I went out to the Jesse Capen area last Tuesday. Jim drove us to the second windmill and we hiked in to near where he had camped. I'm busy with school so I haven't had a chance to download my photos. We didn't find anything related to Jesse. There was a funny note left on the trail from May, also unrelated to Jesse. I've scanned it and will post it this weekend.
-George
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Tom,

Last Tuesday GeorgeW and I wanted to take a hike. But due to the recent rise in interest (By Law Enforcement) in the First Water area, we decided stay clear of there, and go up to Tortilla Trailhead (second windmill) and hike to Peter's Pass).

We found a couple of interesting things along the way... (A pair of prescription eyeglasses a few feet off the trail, and a shoulder bone right in the middle of the trail), but the glasses were quickly determined not to be relevant to Jesse Capen, and the shoulder bone was determined to have belonged to a four legged animal. (Both by MCSO Mountain Rescue personnel). We did not post anything about it, because we were waiting for MCSO to determine if any of it was relevant information or not.

Everything is dry except for Kane Spring, and a couple little potholes near it.

Best,

Jim
Last edited by Jim Hatt on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added photos of glasses and bone found on Peter's Trail
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

GeorgeW wrote:Tom, Jim and I went out to the Jesse Capen area last Tuesday. Jim drove us to the second windmill and we hiked in to near where he had camped. I'm busy with school so I haven't had a chance to download my photos. We didn't find anything related to Jesse. There was a funny note left on the trail from May, also unrelated to Jesse. I've scanned it and will post it this weekend.
-George

OH YEAH!

I forgot all about the note George found sticking out from under a small rock.

Your name was in it Tom... As well as mine and Clay's and Corbin's.

I am sure you will get a chuckle out of it, when George gets it scanned and posted.

Best,

Jim
GeorgeW

Post by GeorgeW »

I've felt challenged on posting images but here's a shot. Jim and I found this note last Tuesday.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added photo of Note and Can-O-Beans - AS FOUND
gollum

Post by gollum »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The "Bob Corbin, Jim Hatt, Clay Worst, Tom Kollenborn, Memorial 'Can O; Beans".................

THAT is funny! Anybody know who this "PJ Weber" is?

Mike
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Mike,

Kurt and I ran into P.J. Weber on the trail back in the Jesse Capen search area last Spring. He is a member of the forums, but I can't recall his username at the moment.

He will probably have a comment to make :lol: when he see George's post above.

Best,

Jim