B&W Desert Photo

Moderator: Jim_b

Plays In The Dirt

B&W Desert Photo

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I'm trying-out a new program and this is my first attempt at it so I thought that I'd post it here for critique. It's not a real difficult program but I do have a lot to learn. Please be honest in your evaluation, constructive criticism helps me to learn new things. There's a lot of different ways I can take a Photo with this program.

BTW - This was a color Photo that I shot yesterday.

Mike C.

Re: B&W Desert Photo

Post by Mike C. »

I honestly think you did a good job with your b/w photo. Thanks for not showing the color photo as that would not be the point---or what people should be comparing it to. I LOVE b/w as it appears more "HISTORICAL" such are actual artifacts and actual on the sight historical photographs. Not being an expert on photography I have no critique. I'll leave that to Desert Cruiser. Mike C. Brea, Ca.
Vulture
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Vulture »

Looks pretty darn good to me. B and W photos always seem so crisp and sharp when viewing.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

PITD, I could discuss photography all day long. I love it as much as anyone.
If you are asking about the dark inner border, I gotta say, it's not my kind of thing but if it pleases your own eye, that's what's important.
I've just always believed that a good photo can stand on it's own and needs no support from special effects. But, like I said, that's just me.
As for the photo itself, it seems a bit cluttered to me. Did you shoot any different views of the same scene?
IMO, the overall composition would have been stronger without the middle tree. If you could have moved to your right you might have combined the two trees into one and left more space in the sky and it would have given you 3 standing subjects rather than 4. Odd numbers are compositionally stronger than even.
What I really like, though, is the way the top of the brush sweeps along and then moves up on the right and that line is continued up the edge of the rock. That's a very strong effect. Without that middle tree it would be even more effective in framing the middle rock formation with the trees on the left and the darker rock on the right acting as stops to keeps the viewer's eye on your main subject.
Plays In The Dirt

Yuccahead, thanks for your critique. If you're talking about the dark "outer" frame around the Photo that was intentional as I was trying-out different ways to do this. I've always prided myself in my compositional skills and have received many compliments, however, that certainly doesn't mean that I always get it right in everyone's eye. As you well know Photography is subjective as everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I agree that this may not have been one of my better efforts but then I just selected one of the many Photos I shot that day to practice one of my new programs. Also, I refrain from posting my better Images on the web as one of the former members here decided he could do a better job on one of them and altered it.

Like you, I could talk Photography anytime as there's not a day that goes-by that I'm not reading about it or practicing it - not a day.

Thanks again for your comments, I do appreciate them...

Plays (Greg)
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Plays In The Dirt wrote: Photography is subjective as everyone has their own likes and dislikes.
Well, yes, it is up to a point. You do have to be objective as well to critique your own or someone elses work honestly.
Plays In The Dirt wrote: I refrain from posting my better Images on the web as one of the former members here decided he could do a better job on one of them and altered it.

Plays (Greg)
Hmmmm...now who would do such a thing? :roll:
Plays In The Dirt

Plays In The Dirt wrote: I refrain from posting my better Images on the web as one of the former members here decided he could do a better job on one of them and altered it.

Plays (Greg)
yuccahead wrote:Hmmmm...now who would do such a thing? :roll:
Oh, someone who thinks that he's an expert on anything that's being presented or discussed. You know, been there done that sort of person. Nothing but a poser he is...
pennylane1284
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by pennylane1284 »

This is really good. I think that making the picture B&W makes it look aged. Nice job! Affordable Stock Images Philippines