Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountains!

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountain

Post by LDMGOLD »

Jim:

Those sure look like a pair of glasses I lost several years ago just above Kane Springs. We took a break and sit on some rocks to rest. My glasses had no bifocal lines on them. They are just about identical. I got them from National Eye Care, Dr. Bray, in the Basha's shopping Center near Signal Butte Road and the Trail. They are no good for me anymore if they were mine, but National could recognize and check the prescription for them.

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Tom,

I looked at them under a 10X loop. The only marking I can see on them, identifies them as being "Foster Grant" frames.

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Nation Wide Eye Care uses Foster Grant frames. If you by there have them look at them and I know they can tell you for sure.

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

There sure hasn't been much posted on Jesse Capen on the forum lately. I am just curious has anyone been out there lately. Drove out there on the August 23, I believe, and didn't seen a sign of nothing. No vehicle tracks, no human tracks; but I did see some bird tracks in the soft sand along trail. I also saw lizard tracks, particularly their tail track and a couple places where a snake crossed the trail. The water was down to almost zero except in the deepest holes. I sure wish there was something to report, but I haven't heard anything involving this area lately. Hopefully when the weather cools off and the hikers, recreational prospectors, and hunters take to the field some clue to do with Jesse will be discovered somewhere in these mountains.

Tom K.
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

Let's hope so, Tom. More boots on the ground means more eyes to potentially spot something. When my father was missing in 2004 it was a hiker who found him, not a SAR team member.

HJ
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Jesse Capen's information has become more available in recents weeks. His personal maps he left home were made available to be studied. Ironically there wasn't much on these maps to indicate where he might have gone other than his interest in Tortilla Mountain and the surrounding environs. These maps were carefully examined and some interesting determinations were made. Again all of this information is subjective and speculative. I was told he emailed me a couple of times, but I don't directly remember communicating with him a year ago last September. I have receive hundreds of emails monthly related to the columns I write for the AJ News. It is impossible to answer all of them. Many of the inquiries i receive are related to subjects or topics not even relevant to the history of the Superstition Mountain area. Yes, I have received emails suggesting different scenarios that might have happen to Jesse. I am still hoping to hear from somebody who may have found his camera, binoculars or some clue that will help find him. Ironically many people don't want to be involved and sometimes they send their information to the newspapers or even directly to a columnist. You would be amazed at the letters and emails I do receive, not including phone calls. I am sure their are many hikers, S & R people, and even the curious who are now beginning to walk and ride the trails of the SWA. This increase of people in the mountain will hopefully reveal a clue that will lead to Jesse Capen or even one of the other three missing men and finally bring resolve to these families.

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Cynthia, (Jesse Capen’s Mother)

If you are still following this discussion… I wanted to let you know that 4 of the 5 DUSA Treasure Hunting Forum Moderators, were hiking together today in the area where Jesse went missing. I am sorry to report that we didn’t find anything related to Jesse, but wanted to reassure you that he is not forgotten!

We found some deer hunters camped in the area where Jesse had parked his Jeep, and notified them that there was still a missing hiker somewhere in the area, and asked them to keep an eye out for anything unusual, and pass the information on to anyone else they saw entering the mountains via that trailhead.

Jim Hatt

Jim, George, Paul & Wayne – 10-24-2010
(Jim Hatt, GeorgeW, Cubfan64 & Somehiker)
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Is there any new - news regarding Jesse or the Utah hikers? I'm sure someone would've posted something if there had but I just wanted to check. Are they still actively searching for them?

Greg (aka - Plays In The Dirt)
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

TO THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED

A friend of mine that is in the mountains about three times a week this time of year says there are a lot of people wandering around back there looking for the three missing treasure hunters. Another friend said he was camped near Charlebois Spring and saw five different groups in four days in the La Barge Canyon. The ones he talked to said they were looking around for the missing treasure hunters from Utah. You would think by now somebody would find some kind of a significant clue as to what may have happen to these guys.

Two complete camps with bedding, shelter, water and food were reported found in La Barge on the east side of Bluff Springs Mountain near Hog Cave. Some call Hog Cave Javelina Cave. The camps appeared to be several years old.

Nothing else of any significance has been found. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue team have had team members searching in the area also. SSAR has had teams searching in the mountains quite frequently since it has cooled off. Also there are several Dutch hunters and treasure hunters out there looking around also.

I hope this answers a few questions. I would post some photographs but it has become very difficult and time consuming to post photos anymore.

Take care, be careful and safe while in the mountains.

Tom K.
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

Tom,

Thanks very much for the detailed update.

HJ