How Much Did This Cost?

Dan

Re: How Much Did This Cost?

Post by Dan »

Hi Don,
Yeah, I followed your link. Sounds fascinating. Can you imagine finding gold stashed in adobe bricks? Along will come another storm, and the old foundation may be again uncovered for someone to discover once again.

Maybe someday the few elitist slobs in Mexico will let a bit of their ill-gotten wealth filter down to the masses, and Baja will once again become a relatively safe place to travel. Until then, it's up to us to visit places here in the good ol' USA.

Happy trails!
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Do any of you know Hilltopper Pete that has a place down in Gonzaga? He is a bud of mine.

Stanley
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desert Cruiser »

No Stanley I didn't know him. In fact I didn't know anyone there and only stayed at the motel and ate there. Nice people, but it's a little expensive for that place. Some of the houses there had some really big and nice whale bones in their yards.

Don....
Dan

Post by Dan »

Don,
I hope you had a better motel experience in Baja than the ones I've had. Always seem to find short curly hairs in the sheets, LOL. Good thing we usually have sleeping bags along. I used to hang with Bill Stroppe and his bunch of merrymakers in the early '80's. We were down there for the 500 one year, and needed a shower and a comfortable bed badly after sleeping two nights in the BF Goodrich semi trailer. 3 of us lucked out to get the last room in town, and it had 3 twin beds and a hot shower, hardwood floors, and decent furniture. Unfortunately, when we pulled the sheets back..........gak!

Once we got the shower drain unplugged, and the 2" of water off the floor, everything was A-OK.

They did look at us a little funny as we were carrying gas cans, tool boxes, and the doors to my jeep up the stairs behind the front desk. Hussong's was never quite the same after that night. Our drive home was my first experience with the Ensenada Shakedown. They got $25 off me while my friends were in the liquor store buying us some bottled coca cola on our way out of town.

We had some fun times down there.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

All those experiences and I'm sure you as well as me have more. One that's never been forgotten is the Hotel in Los Barillos. They said we were lucky to get the last room available upstairs with a balconey facing the water. What a view! It smelled like were in a septic tank. When we asked the manager about doing something about it, they came up and ran water into the drains and traps and said they were dry -- ok so this happens, but it didn't fix it at all. So we left. We walked down the road to another hotel to get another room and when we came back we left with our vehicle no know yet that it had 3 3 inch long drywall screws in the one rear tire. I thought the sign said welcome? Just don't try to leave?

Don....
Dan

Post by Dan »

"you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."
--Don Henley
Sowport

Post by Sowport »

I used to fish out of Puertecitos and Gonzaga Bay in the 1960's. At that time you really could leave your wallet on the table with $100 bills hanging out of it, go fishing all day, and it would still be there when you returned. We once had our boat trailer break down on the old washboard road to Puertecitos and had to off load the boat on to the sand. I was about 10 years old and stayed with the boat while my Grandfather went back to San Felipe to get the trailer welded. It was about 10PM by the time he returned. Other than a rattle snake or two, I felt as safe there as in my own back yard. The times they are a changin'.

I haven't been to Puertecitos and San Luis since the 1970's but the fishing was fabulous then. We used to hire Speedy as our guide and we once filled the boat knee deep in fish. I posted a story about that trip in the Cowpatty Chronicles. Had some great adventures "back in the day".