Desert Racing Accident

Sandman

Re: Desert Racing Accident

Post by Sandman »

A little late to comment but I was taking a siesta when the whole tragedy occured. The real question is when it comes to responsibility. Why does the Barstow Field Office of the BLM get off scot free in it's mismanagement of this permitted racing event held on public lands? Does the excuse " we simply dont have the manpower to patrol the area" give sanction and justification to holding a racing event paying out prize money to competitive racers justify the threat and danger to public safety? After all, the BLM allowed a commercial enterprise to hold this event in the first place, tying up a valuable and limited public safety resource. The more officers that these events use, the less that are available to patrol and supervise errent riders across the public lands of San Bernardino County. The BLM is responsible for patrolling over a million acres of desert lands in San Bernardino county alone and protecting public safety on the lands it has jurisdiction over. I understand that sometimes accedents happen but to lose 8 people killed with another 10 injured, it seems the BLM was asleep at the wheel when it came to managing and ensuring public safety at the event. They at least bear a big portion of the responsibility as they did NOTHING to prevent this tragedy.
Desertroad
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desertroad »

Welcome back Sandman!

Sometimes those siestas just gotta take precedence.

Lately, I've come to have more consideration for land management agencies as they are often caught between a short budget and a public long on demands. Having said that, I do agree with the contention that the BLM should have been more on top of the safety at this particular event. I wasn't there, so I can't claim any direct experience with this incident, so my statements are just my opinion.

I maintain my position that a certain class of individuals of a specific age and gender wearing plaid shorts are the real problem.

Desertroad
MMM

Post by MMM »

First, I am glad you have made a great recovery, sandman.

Now, while I agree to a point the BLM has responsibility over the event in question, the bottom line is, as I have stated before, the final responsibility of the deaths and injuries, (however tragic and totaly avoidable it was) lies with the people who placed themselves in harms way. Even if you had a thousand officers in place, I doubt you could control everyone everywhere. People must accept their own personal responsibility for their actions and the people decided to disregard their own safety for a thril or rush or whatever, made that choice on their own. As far as taking BLM "give[ing] sanction and justification to holding a racing event paying out prize money to competitive racers justify the threat and danger to public safety? " ALL racing events have potental dangers in them. This is no different. And this statement, "The more officers that these events use, the less that are available to patrol and supervise errent riders across the public lands of San Bernardino County", sandman we all already know of the hate you have of anyone who ride illeagaly. Should all racing events be banned from the desert and public lands? I say NO. Done in a responsible way these events can be safe and do little harm to anything. This was a tragic accident and one that was 100% avoidable. Lessons must be learned from it, and steps taken to provide a safe race environment. But untill people stop acting stupid, tragic events like this will continue, be it in the desert, the paved race course or the highway.

Mike
Sal

Post by Sal »

MMM

In our society, we have come to expect that rules will be made to protect us from harm. When we come to a green light, we expect to be able to cross the intersection safely. Likewise, when we go to an ORGANIZED race on PUBLIC LAND we expect to be protected from the risk of death from the vehicles.

Is this a good idea? Or do we want to live as in a third world country?

Once again we see consequence of uncontrolled use of vehicles in Natural areas. My main complaint is that these vehicles tear up the land and kill off the wildlife and ruin the natural experience for others. Add to that the accidental killing of innocents out enjoying a race.

MMM argues that people were killed because they acted stupid. People will be people. You notice there are barriers on freeway overpasses to prevent people from jumping onto the cars? This was done as a reaction to keep accidents from recurring. Desert racing event promoters should be required to protect the onlookers from the danger of getting hit by a racing vehicle.
MMM

Post by MMM »

Sal writes “When we come to a green light, we expect to be able to cross the intersection safely” yet how many times have we seen or heard of someone running a red light and either causing an accident or creating a close call? Sal continues with this “Likewise, when we go to an ORGANIZED race on PUBLIC LAND we expect to be protected from the risk of death from the vehicles.” The race was organized and the promoters of the race are liable for the responsibility of reasonable safety of the people who attend the race. However, people acted in a way that was contrary to their own safety. In my line of work we follow something called Operational Risk Management. (The term Operational Risk Management (ORM) is defined as a continual cyclic process which includes risk assessment, risk decision making, and implementation of risk controls, which results in acceptance, mitigation, or avoidance of risk. ORM is the oversight of operational risk, including the risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes and systems; human factors; or external events.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operationa ... management
The people who decided to stand where they did, made that choice without considering the risk associated with that choice. The responsibility lies solely with the individuals who made that choice and no one else. Just like stepping out in front of a train, bus, truck or car, you should not be surprised if you get hit. And this is exactly what happened. These people stood in harms way at a known point where race trucks jump (catch air) knowing very well that the loss of control of a speeding truck had a high probability.

Sal continues “Once again we see consequence of uncontrolled use of vehicles in Natural areas”, sal this was an organized race, hardly uncontrolled. Sal continues, “ruin the natural experience for others. Add to that the accidental killing of innocents out enjoying a race.” Once again, sal, this was an organized race so they desired the experience of the noise and dust and all else that goes with any off-road race. Also the people who were involved in the accident were not “innocents” as they made the decision to go where they did and stand where they did. Continuing “You notice there are barriers on freeway overpasses to prevent people from jumping onto the cars? This was done as a reaction to keep accidents from recurring.” This would be a fair statement if all accidents happened at freeway overpasses but they don’t and barriers do not exist for people doing stupid things. And finally. “ Desert racing event promoters should be required to protect the onlookers from the danger of getting hit by a racing vehicle.” Yes more could have been done at that known danger spot, maybe hay or straw barriers, or something like it, to show where you should stop and beyond which is a danger area. But, once anyone make the choice to go into a known place of high risk, then it is that person who must, in the end be responsible for the actions they took.

Mike
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

And the winner is and always will be.....................

Lawyers :roll: