Post your adventures here!

Moderator: Jim_b

Sandman

Post your adventures here!

Post by Sandman »

Inquiring minds want to know! Traveling and enjoying our public lands in the desert is what this site is all about
Mike C.

Re: Post your adventures here!

Post by Mike C. »

You are right, that is what I enjoy most about this site. It's warming up now, so desert trips may become fewer and far between. There is nothing wrong with posting about the places we have been whether recently or long ago. Summer will pass then comes fall! I'll put on my thinking cap about my past desert endeavors before heading out again! :roll:
Butcheragain

Post by Butcheragain »

Mike does the name Aroura prospecting ring a bell with you ?
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

No. :?:
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Thirty years ago I used to go out to Mecca Hills via Painted Canyon Road. It was cool back then, as you could go as far as the road will allow. Good places to camp along the way; whether you went to roads end or any way along.. Not much shade, but some nice mesquite trees in areas that would make for a good camp site. Things have changed---last year I went out there and there was and "end" to the road with a parking area and the only way to explore any further is on foot. Not a problem for me---but too many people! I do not mind hiking, but solitude was not to be found. There are ladders and pieces of lumber to help you crawl your way to the next view as you go in. Does anybody remember the "cross" that was on top of one of the colorful sandstone hills back then? I once found an old LA Times newspaper buried in the sandstone (1940s-after WW1}. Also found a cool sand dollar fossil. Lots of good memories!
Butcheragain

Post by Butcheragain »

Sorry, Mike, A good friend that I grew up and have lost touch with has the same first name and first letter of the last name as you.
Was just a hunch so sorry.

Butcher
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Don't be sorry. at least you tried---I would have done the same thing! :)