RV camping on public land

Moderator: Jim_b

kingmantraveler
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

RV camping on public land

Post by kingmantraveler »

My wife and I have been spending occasional weekends in our tvl tlr 20-30 miles south of Q'site.
I've been thinking it's time for a change in scenery.
Coming down from Kingman, if I turn west on I-10, crossing the river, will I find trailer-friendly areas off road within 10-20 miles of Blythe, on the California side? NOT RV parks, just an open public area in the desert.
Many thanks.
Mike C.

Re: RV camping on public land

Post by Mike C. »

Sounds to me you may have been referring to Kofa (I love that place). I know of a place that may fit your bill some 40 miles west of Blythe; Corn Springs near the Chuckwalla Mountains. I have not been there myself so I'm not sure if it is trailer friendly, but I have a feeling it may be. Check out Corn Springs by doing a search---it's definitely on my to-do list. Good luck, Mike C. Brea, Ca.
CowboySlim
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by CowboySlim »

Mike C. wrote:Sounds to me you may have been referring to Kofa (I love that place). I know of a place that may fit your bill some 40 miles west of Blythe; Corn Springs near the Chuckwalla Mountains. I have not been there myself so I'm not sure if it is trailer friendly, but I have a feeling it may be. Check out Corn Springs by doing a search---it's definitely on my to-do list. Good luck, Mike C. Brea, Ca.
I haven't done Corn Springs in about 20 years now. However, I do not expect that it has changed much and we always had a great time there. It is a turn off to the south side of I10 west of Blythe and east of Desert Center.
kingmantraveler

Did some more research, and found an area off midland road north of Blythe.
We'll do some exploring there, and then decide whether to continue coming back.
South of Q'site is great, especially down in the Kofa area, but we've been through there so much, we figured it'd be fun to find some place new.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

[quote="CowboySlim"][I haven't done Corn Springs in about 20 years now. [quote]

I got bad news for ya, a few years back a bad fire blazed thru there and changed the look of the areas.

Corn Springs is well worth a stop and stay, but the folks who recall the palm oasis 20 years back, will tear-up.

As far a campin west of Blythe, the lands in the area you speak offers many places to park a trailer. BLM has rules and trailer accessibility is unknown to me, but my WAG is they are similar to Kofa, and you'll love a little exploring.
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

Thanks, Steve, it has been over twenty years and had not heard of the fire.
Yes, it was beautiful with all those palm trees.
MMM

Post by MMM »

To the best of my admited limited knowlwdge, you can camp just about anywhere in the desert you can get to. This of course excludes designated wilderness areas, no driving period, or areas which have specific travel plans in place. The FS (Forest Service) has a ton of those and they are extreamly strict as to where you can drive and camp on any national forest lands. (normally within 30 feet of a "designated" road. In the "old" days the desert was wide open. Not so today. Be sure and check with the local BLM/FS agency to comply with their rules and regs.

Mike
kingmantraveler

Thank you much, folks.
We went to an area just north of Blythe - Midlands.
It definitely wasn't Arizona!
We might visit it again, to explore the Midland-Rice road, and the ghost towns.
The weather was great, low 70s. No wind
Came back to 20mph winds and 55 degrees.
There is something special about Kingman. Clean air.
The air might be cold, it might be windy, but by God, it's clean!!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Thanks everyone for the tips. Thats what I like about this place. You always discover new places to explore.