Pepper Spray and Reptiles

TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Pepper Spray and Reptiles

Post by TradClimber »

I'm not convinced that TradClimber post of 5/7/09 is true:
“Pepper Spray against BuzzTails is very effective when used properly. Proper use is to spray the BuzzTail's eyes from less than 12 inches for six seconds…”
Certainly, I wouldn’t advise it. As I’ve posted before, TradClimber is no expert and been known to be wrong before.

Mtman posted:
Pepper spray would irritate the rattler just as it will a mammal.
It is also not clear to me that this is correct.

“The seeds of Capsicum plants are predominantly dispersed by birds. Birds do not have the receptor to which capsaicin binds, so it does not function as an irritant for them. Chili pepper seeds consumed by birds pass through the digestive tract and can germinate later, but mammals have molars, which destroy seeds and prevent them from germinating. Thus, natural selection may have led to increasing capsaicin production because it makes the plant less likely to be eaten by animals that do not help it reproduce.”

“In 2006 it was discovered that tarantula venom activates the same pathway of pain as is activated by capsaicin, the first demonstrated case of such a shared pathway in both plant and animal anti-mammal defense.”

The above two quotes may be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

It appears to me more research is needed before I could say that snakes are affected by pepper spray.

TradClimber

PS: Email me for where to send the grant money.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Goldseeker,

I had a similar thing happen while riding near Twentynine Palms last spring. I stopped behind my two buddies who were already stopped on the road. I went to put my foot down and almost put it directly on top of the cutest little sidewinder I have ever seen. At first I was worried that I had run over it with my front tire, but it was moving very well (and rattling like everything!). I yelled for my friends to come over, and we all watched it go sideways all the way to a nearby bush. It was very cool, and I was glad I hadn't hurt the poor thing. We left it alone, just like we always do when we find a snake out there. It's their home, and we have NO right (or desire) to injure or kill them!

Lee
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

I'm not convinced that TradClimber post of 5/7/09 is true:
Quote:
“Pepper Spray against BuzzTails is very effective when used properly. Proper use is to spray the BuzzTail's eyes from less than 12 inches for six seconds…”

Neither am I. Tradclimber writes "...spray the BuzzTail's eyes..." Owing to the fact that the mucous membranes of snake eyes (not just rattlers) do NOT come in contact with the environment as do those of mammals (Note: people are mammals). The eye is covered with a scale which is impervious to air and airborne products. Now, maybe spray paint-- Hmm.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

My question is: Who's going to hold their hand 12" from a snakes head for (6) seconds? I wouldn't spray a snake with anything preferring instead to move away and leave it alone.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Maybe the eyes are impervious, but the nostrils, mouth, tongue and heat sensing pits are not.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:My question is: Who's going to hold their hand 12" from a snakes head for (6) seconds? I wouldn't spray a snake with anything preferring instead to move away and leave it alone.
Who posted that??

It is supposed to be 6" away for 12 seconds!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sycamore
happyguy

Post by happyguy »

Is it okay to use pepper spray with the snake? It can kill too?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed Spam link from post
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Happy posted:
Is it okay to use pepper spray with the snake?
NO
The "directed" use was meant as a JOKE!

To use Pepper Spray in that manner would probably be hazardous to your health.

TradClimber
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

My question is, what rattler is that? It looks like a mix between a Mojave, a Red Diamond and a Western Diamondback all in one snake.
azatrox

Post by azatrox »

It's a Panamint rattlesnake (Crotalus stephensi)...and a good lookin' one too.

-Kris