3 hikers from Utah now missing in the Superstitions

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

Daya-why-upa
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: 3 hikers from Utah now missing in the Superstitions

Post by Daya-why-upa »

I want to Thank everyone for ur efforts & time, finding my Dad and his companions. I'm Ardean's daughter, Laura. I hope and pray that other's will be found & families can have closure. It's been tough & i've been on every trip down there- July 15th & December 2nd. The hardest part was leaving, I didn't want to leave my Dad. I'm glad the other two families can be at peace now. Once again, Thank you EVERYONE!! Animals too...
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

GeorgeW wrote:According to an article in the AJ news, the third body was found on Black Mesa.
http://www.ajnews.com/vol15/012411/pdfs ... 012411.pdf
“He (Merworth) was on top
of Black Mesa, tucked under
a tree,” Cooper said.
Interesting that they were found apart. I've marked on a map Yellow Peak ("A") and Black Mesa ("B"). Perhaps he was going for help. I suppose we'll never really know.

HJ
mn-azhiker

Post by mn-azhiker »

I read the article closely then went back and read between the lines a bit:
That gave us a point last known. Our last point of last known was the vehicle but the whole wilderness was the search area. When Rick found the body, the search area became between the bodies and the car.

It seems likely the two may have been incapacitated in some way and Merworth was going to get help, which is possibly why SSAR then concentrated between the bodies and the car.
n8ive4lf

Post by n8ive4lf »

My apologies to everyone for not getting this posted sooner but I've been traveling since Monday and now I'm here in St. George, Utah getting things ready for my dad's funeral service.

Services for Ardean Curtis Charles will be held at the Shivwits Indian Community Buiding in Sham, Utah at 3pm. on Friday Feb. 11. A dinner will be served at 5pm. and a Traditional All-Night Sing will begin at 7pm. with a graveside service to be conducted at sunrise at the Shivwits Cemetery.

I cannot even begin to express my gratitude to everyone involved in the search(s) that were carried out for in hopes of finding my dad, Ardean Charles. You all will be mentioned at the service and again, many thanks to you all for your hard work and dedication in finding our dad.

Many Blessings to you all, Delila Charles.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I was sorry to hear of your family's loss, but glad to know at least you have some sense of closure.

I haven't seen any news reports since the bodies were discovered to indicate positive identification as well as cause of death but it's good to hear your father can be laid to rest now.

Best to you and your family.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Thanks for the update Delila,

I am so sorry we were unable to do more, and a lot sooner to help your Father and his friends. I hope you have a beautiful sunrise for the graveside service Saturday morning.

Jim
Suz

Post by Suz »

So sorry, keeping you in my thoughts.
n8ive4lf

Post by n8ive4lf »

My children and I made it home safely on Thursday. Even though we've put dad to rest I am still busy with closing his personal matters. I did recieve a letter from the medical examiners office and they said that the cause of death is OUTDOOR ENVIRONMENTAL EXPOSURE and it is ruled an accident. They also tell me that they are putting the date of his death is the day that he was found.

The service for my dad was beautiful and near midnight there must have been close to 400 people in attendance. Everyone who spoke about my dad talked about his generosity, and his easy going friendly attitude, and of how he was nicknamed "loverboy" back in his hay-days. :lol: .. The dinner that was served was my dads favorite; Indian Tacos. There were Bird Singers from Arizona, and the Salt Singers were mostly local people, several people traveled quite a distance to help dad's spirit cross over. I spoke about my dad and his trip to the Superstition Mountains because people just can't understand how dad could have gotten lost out there. Those that knew him were, and are still, baffled by this. I believe that if something happened to Meeks and he was unable to continue, my dad would never have left him alone, he would have stayed with him and I feel that this is why they were found together. I also spoke about the searches and of the many, many people that encouraged me not to give up, and who kept my dad in their daily thoughts and prayers. It is amazing that so many people risked their lives to help out a stranger. I commend those that go out there and give so much of themselves in order to help those that get lost in those mountains.

My dad didn't go on this trip because he was hoping to find gold and get rich, he was simply invited by Merworth to go on this trip which was only supposed to be a few days...unfortunately, my dad didn't come back alive. I am still angry at Merworth for inviting my dad in the first place and hopefully I can one day get past this feeling. I know that my dad could have refused to go, therefore all the blame is not Merworth's alone; I get that, but like I said...I hope to get past this feeling.

I cannot begin to express or find the words to let all the searchers know how much my family and I appreciate everything that you've done for my dad. Thank You all, we truly appreciate you.

Many Blessings to you, Delila Charles.
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

Hi, Delila,

Thanks for letting us know how things went at the ceremony. Sounds like things went well. In a way, that gives us some closure too. May he rest in peace (if that's a culturally relevant idiom),

HJ
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

I was bored one night playing with google earth and figured out the hand written map that was found in the vehicle. March 10th to 20th i will be back in arizona on vacation and to spend time with family cause thats where im from and was planning a hike in the superstitions.I was orginally just going to go on a normal hike just to take in the beauty maybe snap a few photos, but now i figured id walk the hand written map just kind of as an honor to them and see exactly where they thought theyd come across something of intrest.Anyways the whole point of me posting this is I was wondering if anyone wanted to come along and walk it with me? I believe in safety in numbers like everyone else and havent hiked the superstitions since i was a kid.