hunter / gatherer philosophy

Keithress
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

hunter / gatherer philosophy

Post by Keithress »

I live in Florence AZ and surrounded by desert. I gave up my home because I lost my job. I found another job but for lesser pay. I now live in an apartment. to save money, I’m trying to live the “hunter gatherer” philosophy. when ever I go rabbit hunting or hicking on every weekend off ( Rabbits can be hunted all year round here in AZ) I also look for other “wild foods” like wild plants but I’m not sure what I’m doing when it comes to the plants. what I plan to accomplish is the same life style that of Steven Rinella from the show on the Travel channel “The wild with in”.

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/The_Wild_Within

I would like is to use nature as my grocery store so where ever I go in AZ I can find something for food weather its for the home or camping. is there anyone that can help me I.D the right plants.
reptilist

Re: hunter / gatherer philosophy

Post by reptilist »

If you can post pictures we may be able to help you identify some plants, but no one will ever advise you to eat the plants that you gather. That's all on you brother!
I lived off the land for a while back in the 70's.... Mostly meat, fish and cattail pollen for bread. I was always hungry.
When I was a poor college student living in Phoenix, I was able to catch Bass at Encanto Park and pick tumbleweed shoots from vacant lots, to be eaten as a boiled vegetable.
Keithress

Post by Keithress »

I don’t mean totally living off the land but supplement my food with wild foods. I understand its not easy but what the heck I’ll try it if it saves me $$. I checked with Cody Lundin’s Web Page and he runs a school in Arizona ( Prescott) for hunter gathering. Its worth the try. I think I should try it as a hobby first and see if its for me if so then make it a life style.

I thank you for you information
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Good luck!
Also, consider the laws too. There are laws protecting cacti, succulents, green trees, etc... I have heard in conversation that while the fruit of the prickly pear is harvestable, if you were to cut off the pads to use, then that would be illegal to do on public land.
Likewise, pulling up cattails by the roots might be a citable offense, but gathering the pollen is probably OK.
I don't know all the laws, just bringing them up for consideration.

One of my favorite teas is made with just three little leaves of creosote to a cup... Tastes like a summer monsoon!
Keithress

Post by Keithress »

"Tastes like a summer monsoon!" is that good or bad? LOL.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I love the smell of wet creosote bush in the morning!
Guz

Post by Guz »

A summer rain brings that fresh smell out here too. Can't beat it.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Ahhh such a wonderful smell. I frequently spray the one lone creosote in my yard just for the smell.