Re: Article recently released about Off-Road Vehicles

Post by pattillman40 »

yep pretty much... I know it wont get me off my 4-wheeler any time soon! lol
Desertroad
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desertroad »

That's gotta be one big-a..tranquilizer dart they use to get the GPS collar on a moose !

:shock:

I learned about such things while working on my BS at Wassamotta U ! ! :D

Desertroad
Sal

Post by Sal »

here's another article:
Police in Washington Township are cracking down on individuals utilizing public and private property to ride off road, and violations could cost riders their vehicles and a criminal trespassing charge.

Reports of noise, safety concerns and trespassing have officers keeping an eye out for joy riders.

"We had numerous complaints regarding ATVs and motorcycles on the land off Watson Drive and Fries Mill Road," according to Capt. Richard Leonard. "Fliers were given out, warnings were issued and concrete barriers were installed to limit access."

Police have been issuing warnings to those found on the property. As of last Sunday, the plan is to charge riders with trespassing and to impound any motorcycle or off-road vehicle found there.

"There are motor vehicle violations that can be enforced if they ride on any public roadway to enter these properties or leave them," Leonard said.

Violaters could also face criminal trespassing charges under state statute as well as township ordinances.

The property is located behind the Target store on Route 42 in Turnersville and includes land belonging to Atlantic City Electric off Hurffville-Cross Keys Road, part of a health care facility and the MUA water tower on Tuckahoe Road.

"This area presents a danger for the riders since injuries often happen and they can be in the woods, which hinders emergency responders from rendering aid," Leonard said.

Recently, police departments in Wenonah and Woodbury Heights have stepped up enforcement against off-road riders. From May to the end of September last year, Camden Police confiscated 47 ATVs, 65 dirt bikes and 10 motorcycles.

Aside from properly registered motorcycles, ATVs and motorcycles are illegal to operate within the city limits of Camden.

City officials launched an all-out campaign on illegal riding last year, calling it a nuisance and danger to the community.

In Washington Township, police hope riders will heed their advice so they won't have to chase violators.

"We really don't want to have to use enforcement action to solve this issue and would rather the public respectfully comply with our wishes," Leonard said.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/articl ... nav%7Chead
Brew

Post by Brew »

If New Jersey would provide some legal riding areas, the OHV folks may stay off of private property. This is from a 2003 Blue Ribbon Coalition magazine article:

NEW JERSEY STRICTLY ENFORCING OHV BAN ON PUBLIC PROPERTY
The state of New Jersey has been the focus of a lot of attention recently, due to a new policy of strict enforcement banning the use of OHVs on public lands in the state. New Jersey has almost no legal riding areas today, even though diligent efforts by enthusiasts to find suitable sites have been ongoing for some time now. Last fall, the BlueRibbon Coalition went to New Jersey, along with the National Off-Highway Vehicle Conservation Council and the American Motorcyclist Association. We conducted a two-day workshop to help OHV enthusiasts organize a statewide OHV organization to be a more effective group in working to solve many issues in the state, and the New Jersey Off-Road Vehicle Association (JORVA) was formed as a result. In spite of their best efforts, progress has been very slow. The state has targeted the development and opening of at least two OHV areas by 2005, which would help, but still be far below what is needed.

Meanwhile, the state Department of Environmental Protection has mounted a vigorous crack down on OHV use. DEP Commissioner Bradley Campbell warns riders that they can be fined up to $1,000 dollars, and their vehicles can be impounded. This year alone, 62 vehicles have been impounded and 48 riders were arrested.

Hopefully, new legal areas will become available, but they can't be opened fast enough to satisfy the needs of the New Jersey OHV users.

From what I've found so far, New Jersey still hasn't opened any legal riding areas.

Brew
Dan

Post by Dan »

Look, let's face it. Lefties typically want OHV use banned, as one of the largest contributors to liberal politicians' campaigns are environmental extremist groups. When liberals run states like New Jersey and California, there is a de-facto bias against legitimate economic activity, motorized recreation, self-reliance, and personal liberty. Those all run counter to the lefty narrative of social engineering in the name of a laundry list of grievances. They simply want control so they can re-shape the social contract between our government and its citizens into what they consider the utopian ideal that exists only in fairy tales. OHV recreation is merely one of the obstacles in their path toward the goal of domination of the political landscape. The will lie to get it, because once they have control, who's going to hold them accountable for lying? So, we get hit pieces like this and phony "studies" from perpetual graduate students in biology who are looking for their next publicly-funded study grant so they don't have to go get a real job and quit getting high at lunch. They substitute political hyperbole for journalism and eco-colored opinion for hard science, and serve it up for policy-makers to see if they can get some traction. If not, they simply file lawsuits and try to steer toward a sympathetic lefty judge who thinks the definition of judicial restraint is the handcuffs his mistress used on him last night and liberty means the right to force other people to make the same choices you do.
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

Wow...that seems just a bit bitter. No one ever invite you up to the roof for some spleef after Chem class?

As for the Judges and the handcuffs...just how are those coeds in law school supposed to pay for textbooks anyway?

Desertroad
Dan

Post by Dan »

Desertroad wrote:Wow...that seems just a bit bitter. No one ever invite you up to the roof for some spleef after Chem class?

As for the Judges and the handcuffs...just how are those coeds in law school supposed to pay for textbooks anyway?

Desertroad
LOL! Yeah, I have to admit that I don't much like the direction our social engineering experiments seem to be going. And I don't think there is much legitimate argument that they are anything other than a complete and utter failure for our society. Free societies don't much cotton to top-down control, and it seems that since the 1960's, the left has done an about-face on the subject of liberty to do as one pleases. I believe that whether one is Republican or Democrat is not the issue. It seems to be more about whether one places individual liberty at the top of their list or attempts at forced utopian outcomes at the top of their list.
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

Y'know...I agree with you for the most part. I also happen to see a lot of points that Sal makes as valid. I stand by my earlier post in an adjacent thread that you two are actually looking at two different things. Or maybe looking at one thing, from two totally different angles, each from very far away. I'm finding that this is becoming increasingly true of just about every important dialogue in our society these days. I also find this disturbing.

Sal's got dirt on his mind. And I don't mean images of judges in handcuffs. He's seeing dirt-bike tracks at every turn, and doesn't like it. You seem to be very focused on issues of personal liberty, and what it means to be a American. When Sal looks at that level of things, he (she ?...Sal, are you a gal?) see's citizenship as being an extension of maturity and adulthood, which, as we all know, some folks never actually achieve. The fact that you two end up trading barbs so much isn't so much a function of the true standing of either point of view, it's more like the whole looking at the elephant thing, with one seeing a snake and the other a tree trunk. You're both right, but just too close to the subject and not willing to adjust your positions to maybe get a wider view.

I ain't trying to play God, or parent. I get a lot out of reading what both of you have to say. I merely wish to suggest that a step back, a breath, and an examination of how both of you are looking at the world may be an interesting thing to try. I question my perceptions about things all the time. I find I learn from it. My conscience helps me to keep to my core convictions, but trying to find common ground is becoming more important to me.

In my own way, finding common ground is what I believe the founders tried to encode in our Constitution. They wanted us to be the country of fairness. Just my humble opinion. It's just that with so many more people, and only our initial issue of land to work with, this is becoming so much harder to do.

Desertroad