Ocotillo Wind Express Energy Project

MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Ocotillo Wind Express Energy Project

Post by MMM »

Guys I hate to be strange in here, but to me, in my somewhat limited knowledge of things so large, feel that the topic was a specific wind energy project in the desert. And while it is interesting to read about who gets what chunk of our monies, the project is still there waiting in the wings. To me, the idea of losing any more land to OHV use is difficult to swallow. Yes we need renewable energy, but from my experience, desert winds, unless in a pass, are not sustainable in duration or veloicty to warrent the placement of large wind towers on the flats. My 2 cents. Now back to the Dan and Sal show.

Mike
Ocotillofats

Post by Ocotillofats »

The BLM will complete their EIR in July. There will be a public comment period of 90 days following it's release. The documentation can be viewed on the BLM website, El Centro Sector. This project is on a fast track to be constructed. The project will require back up power from other forms of electrical generation when the wind does not blow. The project is proposed entirely too close to residential homes. The desert views will be destroyed. Four of the ten desert scenic view points are overlooking Ocotillo. Pattern Energy is owned by Riverside Holdings, they have paid fines of 30 million dollars for "Pay to Play" schemes in New York. Is this the type of company that the BLM partners with? Not to mention the obvious destruction of wildflowers, plants, animals and people.
Ocotillo Jim

Post by Ocotillo Jim »

Lost the link to this Blog, but I'm back. Noticed no one has posted for quit a while though. Has everyone been checking the El Centro BLM web site for the most current Reports? Did you attend the the Pattern Energy meeting at the Ocotillo Community Park last Saturday?
Brew

Post by Brew »

Stopping that project will be an uphill battle. The Obama administration is pro-green power, but passes over other environmental issues. Not even the mighty desert tortoise can block solar projects.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/environment ... e3062.html

Federal land officials late Friday lifted a stop work order at a solar energy project in northeast San Bernardino County after the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service found that the project would not jeopardize the survival of the desert tortoise species.

The action lets the $2.1 billion BrightSource Energy Co. project go forward but could also kill or injure more than 1,000 tortoises at the site near the Nevada border. The reptiles are listed as threatened with extinction.

The new analysis by Fish and Wildlife also released Friday estimated that between 405 and 1,136 tortoises will die or be injured from construction activity or loss of habitat.

Brew
Sal

Post by Sal »

I lament the USFWS decision to allow tortoise habitat to be destroyed and I can see how those Off-roaders among us would really be upset because they have been barred from activity which disturbs habitat.

I ask you this: Does it make sense to destroy the habitat for recreation?

It MAY make sense to destroy it to gain some level of energy independence for the US.
Ocotillofats

Post by Ocotillofats »

The Ocotillo Wind Express Energy Project is proposed to be located in a conditional use area located around the city of Ocotillo. The entire area of the latest proposal is 13000 acres, slightly down from 15000 acres. The energy company states that the footprint of the actual windmills will be substantually less, duh...
Since the area is a conditional use area, many portions of the area had been closed to off road activity. Now, all of a sudden these past closed areas will be open for the construction of the windmills. An estimated 62 miles of roads are expected to be constructed to enable the erecttion and maintainence of these windmills. An underground electrical distribution system will be required along these roads, further destroying the desert. The spoils from the excavation of windmill towers and underground electrical trenches will be spread out around the windmill bases, according to Jim Calaway of Pattern Energy, therefore assuring that any future growth of existing vegetation will not flourish. The addition of 62 miles of roads, it is by far a greater disturbance to the area than any past off roading damage.
Ocotillofats

Post by Ocotillofats »

I agree with Brew. This project will be very hard to stop. Previous environmental concerns are getting overlooked to allow construction of the things. But, I'm going to give everything I have to stop this project.
Does anyone know anything about load followers?
Ocotillofats

Post by Ocotillofats »

Meetings to oppose the Ocotillo Wind Project will be August 24th @ Imperial Valley Planning Dept. and August 25th @ Ocotillo Community Center, both meetings will begin at 6:00PM. You may also Contact the BLM at cedric_perry@ca.blm.gov or Angelinahavens@co.imperial.ca.us, please take the time to send your negative comments. The people of Ocotillo and visitors do not deserve these wind turbines located less than one mile from some homes, even though the EIR/EIS states that the project is located 5 miles outside of town. The proposed turbines will be 426" tall (42 stories), 200 feet taller than the wind turbines located in Boulevard. 42 miles of construction roads will be required. The water used for concrete and dust control will be equal to half of the water stored in Lake Jennings. Estimate 20, long water tankers running from Pine Valley to Ocotillo, 24 hours a day for a one year period. The desert will be destroyed along with the scenic views and the desert wildlife. Existing roads will be destroyed. Your tax dollars will be given to Pattern Energy in the form of grant money. Private investors will profit big dollars from our land. Your energy rates will increase dramatically. Just to name a few!
Brew

Post by Brew »

On a related note:

Wind Power Is Dying

(full story)= http://frontpagemag.com/2011/08/28/wind-power-is-dying/

While the U.S. is dumping billions of dollars into wind farms and onshore and offshore wind turbines, this energy source is being cast aside as a failure elsewhere in the world.

Some 410 federations and associations from 21 European countries, for example, have united against deployment of wind farms charging it is “degrading the quality of life

Brew
Sal

Post by Sal »

thanks for the link to the story Brew. Speaking of idealogues, David Horowitz, who publishes Frontpagemag, is one of the world's leading right-wing propagandists. Is this all you could find against wind power?

The issue of wind turbines killing birds has been put to rest, yet the idealogues against wind (and in favor of nuclear) keep bringing it up.

These people talk about how wind turbines destroy the landscape...yet their supporters like Brew think nothing of encouraging millions of dirt bike riders to leave their marks on the same landscape.

go figure!