desert cooking

Moderator: Jim_b

shining sun
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

desert cooking

Post by shining sun »

So I'm planning a May or June camping trip this year. It should be hot enough to try something I've been thinking about, as in using the ever present sun to cook. I'm thinking of putting food into a glass jar or casserole dish about mid-morning, setting it into the sun, then using the crock pot concept of slow cooking and enjoying a desert cooked meal using free energy that night. I've heard of people cooking on their car's engines while driving, so why not this? I 've heard of solar ovens so why not solar crockpots? The only obstacles I see are hungry ravens and coyotes!
Shining sun, potential :roll: future desert chef
roc2rol

Re: desert cooking

Post by roc2rol »

Can I come for dinner?
sunny side up ;)

sounds interesting
but you must be careful in the desert ss !
all you may fry is your brains :oops:

Good luck!!!
your fried,
I mean friend !
Ed
:D
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Shining sun cooking with shining sun! How very appropriate. So would Falling rain take showers in falling rain? One could really do things in a "green" way while traveling in the desert. I've seen setups where you let a plastic jug of water warm up on a stand, set up a curtain, and there's your sun heated water! I like these kind of things :D
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

What part of the desert are you going to be doing this cooking?
Ed
D T

Post by D T »

study up,the health food store I go to, every day there is a guy cooking his lunch with the sun ,but theres a little more to it than putting some food in a casserole,the desert has a lot more amenities than it did when I first started going to the desert ,solar showers were all we had ,back then I dont remember anyone selling h20 showers.
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Hi Ed,
I think I'll stick to my favorite places in southern Nevada. There are some of my favorite rockhounding areas there and lots of sun for cooking and renewing the soul-its been snowing here, I'm ready for some heat. There are good campgrounds in Beatty, NV, and Death Valley also (alas, no rockhounding there :(
I'd also like to visit the Beatty mudmound (fossils) and the "bottomless" water hole, I believe its called Devil's Hole. And I've yet to go to Red Rock.
Yikes! Gas over $4 gallon. Need to find some gold nuggets :lol:
Marie
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Sounds like you a have a plan, Marie
That Nevada desert lures your soul
You have the eye for those good fire rocks
and deserve the gold
you'll do great

and let someone (Us, Me) know where your at-- at all times
so you take real good care
your pal in Phoenix
E :)
eunderhill

Post by eunderhill »

I believe that the glass jar cooking method is being used as a crock pot as the food slow cooks. For best results, the jar should be painted black on the outside. Another thing you could do is to find a way to bring the water up to a boil in the sun and then use that to cook some food in a thermos. Basically a thermos crock pot. Some other thing you can do with a thermos flask and food jars, store cold milk in a flask and either ice cream or yogart in a food jar. Should be able to keep for up to 12 hours. Be sure to pre chill the flask and food jars in your freezer first before use for great results.
D T

Post by D T »

this guy at the health food store built a small trailer he tows with a bicycle,on the trailer is a large bowl shaped unit(built from a warehouse light) with a spot in the middle that is the "burner",then inside the bowl are mirrors,that are refractors or reflectors that are all concentrated(aimed) on/at the burner area. not that complex,but Ive seen it work
D T

Post by D T »

one of my next projects will be a manifold oven,a metal box attached to the exhaust manifold of your car,that heats your food as you go to other locations ,they have a cook book also,called manifold destiny