Tortilla Ranch

Moderator: Jim_b

tjoslin53
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Tortilla Ranch

Post by tjoslin53 »

Has anyone seen a pic of the old Tortilla Ranch of FR#213 when it was still there and working. I have visited the site a few times but was thinking, I have never seen a pic. If anyone has one please send it my way.

Riley
cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Tortilla Ranch

Post by cubfan64 »

Hopefully someone can point Tom Kollenborn to this thread - if anyone would have lots of good photos of the Tortilla Ranch it would be him!
i-tsari-tsu-i

Re: Tortilla Ranch

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

Riley,

Without looking very hard, I found a Tom Kollenborn picture on page 219 of "Hiker's Guide to the Superstition Wilderness" by Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart. I'm sure Tom has many more. I will see if he will post them.

Probably one of the best pictures of the ranch can be found on page 344 of the same author's latest publication: "Superstition Wilderness Trails West". If you don't have their books, they are a must have........

In addition to that, Jim Hatt posted this:

Jim Hatt
Post subject: Re: Superstition Mountain History Discussion - OLD B/W PHOTO
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:02 am

Morning Tom,

Thank you for the info about river crossings in the old days. I know Al was very interested in a location North of the river. Mickey Plemens (according to Al) found an area up there where there were a number of very old mines. He promised to take Al to them, if Al would put up the money, and file mining claims in both their names. Unfortunately Mickey died sudden and unexpectedly before that ever happened.

Yes I heard about the split between Monty and Al from both Al and Clay, and as you said... Each has his own side of the story. Even the area where the event took place, varied from one story to the other.
It was a bitter split between the two of them (even tho they had been very close friends for a long time).

It clearly demonstrates what I have been trying to get across to the newer generation of Dutch-Hunters, about moving freely between one camp and another, trying to be friends with everyone, and glean everything possible from all the different camps.

In the end, they end up being loyal to, or trusted by nobody, and are never taken into anyone's confidence. By the time they learn that, it is usually too late, because once they are tagged as "Freelance Wildcats", they can never shake it off, and be accepted into any recognized and established camp.

Photo of Mickey Plemens in front of the old Tortilla Ranch House.
Taken by: Al Reser (Early 1960's if I remember correctly)

Report this post

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo