Treasure News

Moderator: Jim_b

roc2rol
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Treasure News

Post by roc2rol »

need to get me one of those deepseekers !

This is of real interst
right down the street

Archeologists said they've found ancient artifacts that could date back to before the Hohokams in dirt removed from the downtown Phoenix construction site of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office's $93 million headquarters.

In May, shovels hit an archeological jackpot at the site at Sixth Avenue and Madison Street when workers unearthed remnants of graves that local preservation experts said traced back to Arizona's pioneers who died in the mid- to late-1800s.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... -site.html
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

roc2rol wrote:need to get me one of those deepseekers !

This is of real interst
right down the street

Archeologists said they've found ancient artifacts that could date back to before the Hohokams in dirt removed from the downtown Phoenix construction site of the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office's $93 million headquarters.

In May, shovels hit an archeological jackpot at the site at Sixth Avenue and Madison Street when workers unearthed remnants of graves that local preservation experts said traced back to Arizona's pioneers who died in the mid- to late-1800s.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... -site.html
Roc,

That really is interesting, because the accepted era for the disappearance of the Hohokam has long been around 1450. Am I behind the times......always possible.

Elsewhere, I think you asked what something was living on. I believe the answer would be El Toro Poo-Poo. Lots of cattle in the area. ;)

Take care,

Joe
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Hey Joe:

Ticks eat poo-poo....??
WOW....I learn somethin new every day.... :lol:

Behind the times ?
Maybe a little...sounds like them Red Mountain folks are older than both of us combined.

And I think they're saying the pottery fragments and grindstones that they're now finding belonged to the pioneers who were pioneers before the Hohokam pioneers,who were pioneers before the pioneers who put their stiffs in fancy boxes and stacked them on top of them old pottery fragments and grindstones.

Somethin like that....anyway
Hope I didn't leave any of them other pioneer folks outta my explanations... ;)

Regards:Wayne
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

Wayne,

"Behind the times ?
Maybe a little...sounds like them Red Mountain folks are older than both of us combined."

I think I am, pretty much, up to speed on the Red Mountain phase. Their plain brown pottery is said to be pre-300 AD, thought to have come up from Mesoamerica, and be the oldest pottery in Arizona. All of that is in dispute, which is not unusual in archaeology.

As I understand it, the Red Mountain phase is not all that well researched yet, so the evidence is somewhat thin. The dating comes from a single site (pithouse) at Pueblo Patricio and only two dates were established. I believe the samples that were tested were charred logs.

Things are always in flux in archaeology. Theories that were once well accepted, like the Gladwinian model, are no longer in the mainstream. That includes the small bit of knowledge that I have gleaned over the years......no longer in the mainstream. :cry:

Take care,

Joe
Last edited by i-tsari-tsu-i on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

i-tsari-tsu-i wrote:
I believe the answer would be El Toro Poo-Poo. Take care,
Joe
I know B.S. when I read it :lol:

I never knew the original Pioneer gravesite was in that location

I think the best dating they’ve done of the HoHokam
was in 3 phases from how the pottery progressed
Off the cuff I think they’ve dated HoHokam settlements
back to 100 B.C.

O well I wrote my pittance above
before what Joe already addressed so excellently

best
Ed
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

Ed,

All in an effort to jump-start a conversation on Native Americans. It's one of my favorite subjects, especially where it concerns Arizona history.

Take care,

Joe
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

21 tons of gold! :o
what's really intersting is that most of that gold came from Central America
and was actually shipped back-- to cross the Cental America
and reloaded on a ship to be lost at sea,
That is sort of ironic

roc
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

jhme1603

Virgin de quadalupe mine

Post by jhme1603 »

Mike I've read the Molina document and found parts missing from the translated document I read. Whoever finds the lost virgin mine is within a short distance of the lost conception and lost Opata mines. My friend told me of another lost treasurer--stacked gold bars during WWII training manuevers in our southwest. He then showed me a copy of the receipt the soldier got, for the one bar he had placed in his pack, from the Denver mint. I think I know how they can found, but, I'm too old and physically unable to test my theory on these mines.
Joe