Geronimo’s Head

Moderator: Jim_b

tjoslin53
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Geronimo’s Head

Post by tjoslin53 »

I was out at the old Indian Paint Mine out near Battleship Mountain last winter and had fun but was looking for a mining operation from years past without luck. I had heard that somewhere near the west face of Geronimo Mountain there had been a claim, up high on a ledge inbetween one of the ravienes. Also located somewhere near the bottom edge either on the west or south side were the remains of milling plates. I could not find them, maybe it was a joke on me but has anyone else heard this or seen this?

Note: There is said to be a deep mine shaft near the very top of Boulder trail I thought I might seek out this winter too, any help would be great on if its really their and where.

Riley
GeorgeW

Re: Geronimo’s Head

Post by GeorgeW »

Geronimo's Head is on my list of places to visit. I can't tell you much about it. However, I have visited a deep vertical shaft near Boulder trail. It was South of the trail, on the North-West side of a nearby peak. It was easy to pick out the site from the trail. The shaft was not very wide and there was lots of loose rock at the site. It looked like a difficult place to enter and easy place to die so I didn't descend. There was also a wheelbarrow downhill from the site that had a flat pneumatic tire on it.

Be safe out there.
alfonzo

Post by alfonzo »

George, sounds like the Obie Stoker, Question Mark Mine you found there.
Mine on the west face of Geronimo Head, interesting, would like to know about that one too. Recently read about a couple of college students from Tucson long time ago, looking for a lost mine or cave from Petroglyphs marked on the south end of Geronimo head. i found a mine with a couple of 55 gal drums inside near Garden Valley when i was 30, first trip inside, now at 62 cant find it again, thought i could walk right to it.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

alfonzo:

Were these students from Tucson the same ones who found the leather satchel of spanish letters in the mid 70's ?

Regards:somehiker
alfonzo

Post by alfonzo »

S.,H. Might have been, I copied the story down, have to find it again
tjoslin53

Post by tjoslin53 »

Hey GeorgeW
read your reply to the shaft off Boulder trail but am unclear about your directions. How about a GPS location?

Thanks