THE HOLMES MANUSCRIPT

Moderator: Jim_b

Matthew Roberts
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE HOLMES MANUSCRIPT

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Ashton,

Good, Glover's book is the best source for what Brownie Holmes actually said even though he is quoted several times by others it's still the closest thing to vintage Brownie.

I can post photos but don't have permission myself to view them. (?) Don't know why that is but I have the same problem. !

When Waltz said , "go to the first water" , I don't believe he meant today's First Water as on the topo maps. Since he knew Dick Holmes had followed him to "Tortilla spring", that is what I believe Waltz was referring to by the first water. It was something only he and Dick Holmes would have known, not a general spring or source of water EVERYBODY would have recognized as being, "first water". You have to realize that Waltz was talking personally to Dick Holmes, not EVERYBODY in general, and I believe he spoke specifically and personally to Holmes, not as he was talking to a general group of people.

See you at the Rendezvous !

Matthew
Somero

Post by Somero »

I'm having the same problem, no permission to view files :?
adminme
Site Admin

Post by adminme »

I fixed the photo so you can see it now.
Matthew Roberts

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Thanks Administrator, appreciate the help !

Matthew
Rick from Kali

Post by Rick from Kali »

my question after reading all of the above post is ..didn't julia speak german and just maybe if holmes julia and rieny were all in the room when jacob lay dying could it be the dutchman was speaking german thinking he was speaking to julia and could it be that when julia was trying to interpt it into english something got left out. i ask this question because back in the 90's when i was working on the movie Titanic which most of it was filmed at Rosarita Beach in mexico we had to bring a lot of film equipment to that location. but before we could cross the border we had to stop at the brokers so tht they could translate the manifest into spanish before we could cross. most of the time it would take 6-7 hours. i asked yolanda our broker why it always took so long to translate the manifest. she told me the reason was that there were words in english on the manifest that they did not have in spanish to translate to. could this had happened with the dutchman trying to give julia the directions to the mine and her in turn trying to translate it to english for holmes? words lost in translation? from what i have read is that jacob befriended julia because she was half german and could speak german. would not the dutchman speak in german to her to keep others from understanding what was being said. something to think about. holmes spent his whole life looking for the mine but could never find it. i know a wild theory.. but then again maybe not.
Rick
Marius

Post by Marius »

Matthew Roberts wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm Ashton,

Good, Glover's book is the best source for what Brownie Holmes actually said even though he is quoted several times by others it's still the closest thing to vintage Brownie.

I can post photos but don't have permission myself to view them. (?) Don't know why that is but I have the same problem. !

When Waltz said , "go to the first water" , I don't believe he meant today's First Water as on the topo maps. Since he knew Dick Holmes had followed him to "Tortilla spring", that is what I believe Waltz was referring to by the first water. It was something only he and Dick Holmes would have known, not a general spring or source of water EVERYBODY would have recognized as being, "first water". You have to realize that Waltz was talking personally to Dick Holmes, not EVERYBODY in general, and I believe he spoke specifically and personally to Holmes, not as he was talking to a general group of people.

See you at the Rendezvous !

Matthew
Matthew

After intensive research and little logic, I have understood how Waltz meant with the "first water" and "second water" the two rivers Verde and Salt, which he used to pass in his way to the mine.