Rt. 78 South of Palo Verde

Moderator: Jim_b

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Rt. 78 South of Palo Verde

Post by Desert Cruiser »

There's a lot of interesting sites in this area. And a lot of gold mines and other mines too! There's a little known place in a valley called Gold Basin. It's hard to get to now unless you look on a topo and find a way into it. The old original road has been wiped out by a pipeline, and the other way in by the wash --- well it's over grown.

Here's our group! I've got the map in my hand and Iggy is in blue.

Of course all these Jeep people had to follow us! You'll notice the Toyota is the lead vehicle.

Goldseeker: here is the ore crusher I told you about. You can see another taillings pile behind us and there is quite a few more mines in this area. Also another vertical shaft (very deep) where you see the pilings sticking up to the left.

Now this is another mining area right behind (East of) the Gold Basin. A lot of mines here also.

We found this at this site. It's an old Hudson! Straight 6 still in it.

On the firewall was the manufacturer's ID plate with Industrial Registrada Bajo on it, and some other Spanish. Figure that one out.

Now back up Rt. 78 a couple of miles you'll see a sign for Midway Well. This was a watering stop for travelers. It's also the entrance to another area that's full of mines. This is an interesting place.

Hope you enjoyed this.

Don....
reptilist

Re: Rt. 78 South of Palo Verde

Post by reptilist »

Cool post Don!
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

My kind of place! Great photos!

Lee
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

Nice Pictures Don.
There is a lot of neat places on Route 78 aka Ben Hulse Hwy.
You were only a few miles from where I live when you were at
Midway Wells.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Glad you liked them --- I did hope that Goldseeker got to see them also, as he asked for one of them in particular.

There are so many areas that can be explored around there --- well Kathy certainly knows as she only lives a short distance from Midway Well. To the West of the well you go thru a heavily mined area and then into the Chocolate Mountain Gunnery Range -- don't get caught there -- I hear they fine you heavily and they do use the area for tests and training.

Here's an example of one of the many mines in the area, some are fenced some are not. Some are large and some are smaller. All have been worked for a continued period. And some are still active!

And I can't remember where I got this photo of all these 50 cal cases; and there was a lot of ammo boxes too!

Don....
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Thanks Terry, Lee, and Kathy; glad you like them. There is so much in those areas it would take me thousands of photos to show it all, and we probably missed some of it, but not much! There does seem to be a lot of old cars and trucks around there.

Don....
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Desert Cruiser wrote:There's a lot of interesting sites in this area. And a lot of gold mines and other mines too! There's a little known place in a valley called Gold Basin. It's hard to get to now unless you look on a topo and find a way into it. The old original road has been wiped out by a pipeline, and the other way in by the wash --- well it's over grown.

Here's our group! I've got the map in my hand and Iggy is in blue.

Of course all these Jeep people had to follow us! You'll notice the Toyota is the lead vehicle.

Goldseeker: here is the ore crusher I told you about. You can see another taillings pile behind us and there is quite a few more mines in this area. Also another vertical shaft (very deep) where you see the pilings sticking up to the left.

Now this is another mining area right behind (East of) the Gold Basin. A lot of mines here also.

We found this at this site. It's an old Hudson! Straight 6 still in it.

On the firewall was the manufacturer's ID plate with Industrial Registrada Bajo on it, and some other Spanish. Figure that one out.

Now back up Rt. 78 a couple of miles you'll see a sign for Midway Well. This was a watering stop for travelers. It's also the entrance to another area that's full of mines. This is an interesting place.

Hope you enjoyed this.

Don....

Yes very nice. That *crusher* is actually an "arrasta" a primitive crushing method that worked fairly well, although sometimes quite a bit was left. Worth checking if you run across one today, esp in a remote place. ;)

I know a couple places here I will check in the winter. They are remote. Too damn hot now anyway, and did I mention I dont like buzztails? :o

Another thing is *them* trying to close off more of the desert. :x
:cry: