Walking Through the desert

Moderator: Jim_b

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Walking Through the desert

Post by Desert Cruiser »

As it should be -- a concern that is. People usually die 1 of 2 ways in the desert. Dehydration or drowning. A lot of people that don't know the desert will think the drowning part is a bunch of hooey, but it happens all too often with flash floods mostly in washes. Your welcome. And yes you have to have watering holes, whether it's places you've set gallon jugs for your trip or towns where you can get water. You can't carry enough, walking!

Don....
Iggy1
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Iggy1 »

Welcome to the site. I don't think you will have to worry about flash floods during the fall & spring months. You may want to check out these MRE's that don't weigh allot, even a few could come in handy if you get off the beaten track.
http://heatermeals.com/cart/index.php
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Log on to Backpacker.com and start asking questions there about gear, etc.
Your choice of backpack and boots is critical and will make or break your trip.
If you have an REI in Austin you should start talking to their best boot guy and backpack guy.
You should get all of your other gear first and then find the backpack that is the right size and fit to carry it all.
You really need to start doing some short overnight or weekend backpacks to get a feel for what you need and don't need. Novice backpackers always buy too much stuff and try to carry too much stuff only to find they don't really need most of it. The best backpacking gear should be as lightweight as possible and should serve more than one function. Get a scale that measures ounces and use it as the deciding factor when chosing one piece of gear over another.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

Desert Cruiser wrote:As it should be -- a concern that is. People usually die 1 of 2 ways in the desert. Dehydration or drowning. A lot of people that don't know the desert will think the drowning part is a bunch of hooey, but it happens all too often with flash floods mostly in washes. Your welcome. And yes you have to have watering holes, whether it's places you've set gallon jugs for your trip or towns where you can get water. You can't carry enough, walking!

Don....
I remember in a geology class in college my professor told us that if we were in the desert you could locate where the water usually flows and dig down and hit water. I dont know if that is true or not though.

I am also trying to plan my trip so that the furthest distance between towns is less than 30 miles, even that might be too far.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

Iggy wrote:Welcome to the site. I don't think you will have to worry about flash floods during the fall & spring months. You may want to check out these MRE's that don't weigh allot, even a few could come in handy if you get off the beaten track.
http://heatermeals.com/cart/index.php
Right now I live in Galveston. I stayed during hurricane Ike and I have a few cases of MRE's left. I guess I need to check to expiration dates.

What about the winter months. I will be traveling fall through spring.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

yuccahead wrote:Log on to Backpacker.com and start asking questions there about gear, etc.
If you have an REI in Austin you should start talking to their best boot guy and backpack guy.
You should get all of your other gear first and then find the backpack that is the right size and fit to carry it all.
You really need to start doing some short overnight or weekend backpacks to get a feel for what you need and don't need. Novice backpackers always buy too much stuff and try to carry too much stuff only to find they don't really need most of it. The best backpacking gear should be as lightweight as possible and should serve more than one function. Get a scale that measures ounces and use it as the deciding factor when chosing one piece of gear over another.
Thanks yuccahead for the website and store.

I have never even heard of REI until now. I found one on the northside of houston, so I'll definitely check it out.

I do plan on doing short trips here later this month. The only problem I have here is right now I am located in Galveston and everything around here is flat.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

IF it's been dry your likely not to find the water, unless there is a spring in the area. Besides hiking in the desert mountains, rocky, the sandy stretches will wear on you. 10 to miles in sand will finish you. Of course I'm speaking from experience a long time ago when we did a lot of hiking. I hope you prepare yourself well, it could save your life.

Don't forget the nuts & honey

Don....
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Walking from town to town you will encounter some amazing people.Try contacting some churches along your planned route. I have a friend who walked solo from San Diego to Washington D.C. While you will no doubt enjoy the quiet times alone on the road, there is alot of joy and comfort in meeting people along the way and sharing a meal or two.

Also, the winters in the Great Basin of Utah, Nevada and Eastern Oregon can get brutally cold. Be prepared or take a more temperate route. Good luck. If you are passing through the California desert let us know.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

wanderer86 wrote:
yuccahead wrote:Log on to Backpacker.com and start asking questions there about gear, etc.

I have never even heard of REI until now. I found one on the northside of houston, so I'll definitely check it out.

I do plan on doing short trips here later this month. The only problem I have here is right now I am located in Galveston and everything around here is flat.

Maybe you should think about renting a satellite phone for this trip. I mean no offence, but you sound like a novice, and thats who usually gets in trouble. And know where you are, at least approximately, at all times, in case you need to call for help. When you said you never heard of REI, the flags went up. You better take care, I think you could easily get in over your head. And 30 miles is way too long, IF you need water. Get the phone. And know your location.
wanderer86

Post by wanderer86 »

Goldseeker wrote:
wanderer86 wrote:

Maybe you should think about renting a satellite phone for this trip. I mean no offence, but you sound like a novice, and thats who usually gets in trouble. And know where you are, at least approximately, at all times, in case you need to call for help. When you said you never heard of REI, the flags went up. You better take care, I think you could easily get in over your head. And 30 miles is way too long, IF you need water. Get the phone. And know your location.

I am a novice that is why I am giving myself a few years to gain some knowledge. What about traveling at night?