Prickly Poppies / Panamint Dunes

blackturtle.us
The middle number please (4): 7

Prickly Poppies / Panamint Dunes

Post by blackturtle.us »

I've never seen so much prickly poppy in bloom in one location as I did this last week at Panamint Dunes. In fact, half the pictures I include in my report are of prickly poppy! There was also gilia, sand verbena, lilac sunbonnet, spectacle pod, and a few others in bloom. Eremalche was close to blooming and there was also some keysia that was getting close too. Last year I hiked to the top of the highest dune and along the main crest of the dunes. This year I circumnavigated the dunes which made for a longer hike. In a few places it looked like there was a lot of Native American chipping activity going on. I'm not sure why this location would have been a site of that kind of activity. TRIP PICS: http://www.blackturtle.us/DV_SITES/LAKEHILL/index.html

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Prickly Poppies / Panamint Dunes

Post by reptilist »

Very nice composition!
John Hardison

Post by John Hardison »

Wow! as Rep said "Very Nice Composition" This I believe would make a great HDR photograph too
blackturtle.us

Post by blackturtle.us »

Thanks for kind compliment John Hardison and reptilist! But I've gotta say when in beautiful surroundings, you can pretty much point your camera in any direction and wind up with a nice composition!!!
Plays In The Dirt

Valley Of Fire

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I just shot these at the Valley Of Fire which is down the street from my house. The cactus and flowers are starting to bloom, and with a backdrop of outstanding rock formations and colors it's a great place to visit this time of the year.

reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Nice!
Plays In The Dirt

reptilist wrote:Nice!
Thank you. I see that we keep the same hours - LOL. I'm in the process of making the transition to night shift so I tried to stay-up all night. Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm certain that you are familiar with that.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I'm on an 8d x 10hr schedule followed by 6 days off. Normally I get up at 4:30 in the morning, but yesterday and today I had to get up at 3:30 am to lead a tailgate safety meeting....Ug, it's kind of painful getting up this early!
I've stayed up all night before and that is way too painful for me anymore!
I'm at work now.
Plays In The Dirt

Shift work does not make me a happy camper, especially at my age. But I'm very thankful to have employment - many don't.
blackturtle.us

Post by blackturtle.us »

I returned to the Panamint Dunes last week hoping to find some keysia in bloom. No such luck. I did find a "portable" Native American grinding stone however. They ground right down to the bottom and so I guess that's why the discarded it near the dunes. (Obviously I left the pot where I found it.) Here's the pic: