Caved Stopes

Moderator: Jim_b

Plays In The Dirt

Caved Stopes

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I thought that I'd share some information I learned yesterday about mining, (in this case for gold). I was on my quad exploring the backside of Ruby Hill when I saw what a large section of the hill that appeared to have been excavated quite extensively. I mean it looked like a large area had a big bite out of it. When I was visiting with my geologist friend last night I asked him about it and he explained that it was "Caved Stopes." Very basically what this means is that many years ago when they dug horizontal caves in the sides of hills or mountains they shored them up using timbers (and other methods). Through the years the timbers rotted and the caves (or shafts) collapsed and caved-in giving the appearance that a huge section of the hill or mountain had been heavily excavated, (such as I saw). They're also caused my another mining method in which after the ore was removed the miners would back-fill the space with old timbers - wood - etc. and when that rotted away the cave collapsed. So next time you're out in an area that has been mined and you see an area such as this, it just may be a caved stopes that has collapsed.

Here's a couple of Photos of what I saw.

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Caved Stopes

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Here's an explanation of Stoping that's easy to understand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoping_%2 ... _method%29

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Greg,

Did the Geologist identify those specific photos as Caved Stopes?
They look an awful lot like Open Pit Mines in solid rock to me.
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:Greg,

Did the Geologist identify those specific photos as Caved Stopes?
They look an awful lot like Open Pit Mines in solid rock to me.
Jim, yes he did. In fact he knows that because it's the mine I work at and he's the geologist there. I thought that they were open pit mines myself so that's why I specifically asked him about it when I went to his house.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Can't argue with "The Man", (and get very far :D) that's the kind of stuff he is paid to know. Sure could have fooled me tho!
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:Can't argue with "The Man", (and get very far :D) that's the kind of stuff he is paid to know. Sure could have fooled me tho!
Yes me too because they sure look like open pit mining. But then he's been a gold mining geologist for (30) years so I have to assume he knows a little about what he's talking about.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Maybe they stoped back in there horizontally at first, then stoped up from the drift until they broke through the top. Then the rest just caved in around it?
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:
Jim Hatt wrote:Can't argue with "The Man", (and get very far :D) that's the kind of stuff he is paid to know. Sure could have fooled me tho!
Yes me too because they sure look like open pit mining. But then he's been a gold mining geologist for (30) years so I have to assume he knows a little about what he's talking about.

Hey Greg, when we first started talking, you were not that much interested in gold prospecting, but now, after being around it for a while, and realizing that yes, its still out there, are you starting to get the "fever" :lol:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Yeah Greg,

Is it getting to you yet? :?
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

I have been in many old mines and it is very common to find both caved stopes and open exposed ones. It is wise to use extreame caution around any old mine, due to the fact that many times the old times dug literly within feet of the surface and walking on the ground can cause a cave in with deadly results.

Mike