Snake Call....

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Snake Call....

Post by reptilist »

Today I got a call from a Clifton resident about a snake in a hole under his house. He said he thinks it's a glossy snake, and he is OK with it being there, but his wife is not....
Of course a snake in a hole under a house is not an easy critter to get. In fact, most of the time it is futile. But I went there and ran the water hose into the hole, hoping the animal would come out, and after about 20 minutes he started to show his face. It was a Gopher snake. He came up for air twice, but I could not get a strong enough grip on him to overcome his resistance, so back inside he went. Even though I came away empty handed, the home owner and wife were content to let it be since I positively identified it as something they are familiar with, and harmless at that... Coming back home through Ward's Canyon, what did I happen to see laying in the road? Another Gopher snake! This one got "rescued" off of the road.
John Hardison
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Snake Call....

Post by John Hardison »

Good Job Rep... I had a couple of these hose jobs to no avail and then some jobs that worked very well indeed. The University of Texas use three of my experiences and one in pictular of flooding a female WDB and 3 imm from under a large landscape rock in their Outreach Series by Dr. Travis J LaDuc "The Striking Behavior of Rattlesnakes..
http://fleas.smugmug.com/photos/44316292_q6hCA-O.jpg
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Very cool!
You've sure come a long ways these last few years!
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

John, that's not you holding the hose so you must be practicing (HORRORS) the arcane art of photography. Do you know Travis? I first met him when he was an undergrad at UofA in Tucson. We also met monthly at the Tucson Herp Society meetings. I spent a week with him in Baja at some SSAR, etc, meetings and ran into him (not literally) in Northern Baja where I showed that soon-to-be PhD where and how to find Legless Lizards. If you are in touch with him, give him my regards. Maybe I'll send him an email just for old times. The link is to the California Legless Lizard but there is not that much difference between it and the Baja form, Anniella geronemensis.

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/ ... lchra.html