Young Turkey Buzzards

Jim Hatt

Young Turkey Buzzards

Post by Jim Hatt »

Young Turkey Buzzards (Bite my tongue)

Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) Thanks Jerry

Here is something you don’t see every day. Salvador and I made another trip up into the high cliffs behind Tortilla Flat, looking for a cave we had read about. We didn’t find the cave, but we did come upon two very young Turkey Buzzards. The first one was just sitting about 20 feet away from us on a rock. He didn’t seem to mind us being there until Sal took a couple steps closer. The little guy jumped off the rock and started running down the hill. We were standing there watching him, when Sal said he heard a Rattlesnake down where the little Buzzard had just run to, and said “De snake weel geet heem”, and off he went to save the him from the snake. While Sal was on his mission, I found a second little Buzzard that I watched disappear into a hole. When Sal returned with the first one, I showed him the hole I had found, and told him that a second little Buzzard had gone into it. When Sal put his up there close to it, he wasted no time disappearing into the hole too.

Score: Sal One… Snake Zero!

Link to Video:
http://i212.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... zzards.flv
Iggy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Young Turkey Buzzards

Post by Iggy »

That is fantastic Jim. Don & I have never seen baby Turkey Buzzards before. That it self would have made my day. Thanks for sharing.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Very cool!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Really neat Jim! Didn't know they were that color when little and didn't know they made nests or used a hole like that. Thanks for sharing that!

Don....
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

That color was a surprise to me too Don. The white fuzzy stuff will eventually be replaced by feathers I'm sure. When I saw the first one I thought it was a chicken, but when he turned his head to look at me, I knew right away what it was.

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Neat video Jim. Boy I've got to use the video on my small camera more often, it's there and I keep forgetting about it.

Don....
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

I think we've been through this before. The use of the term "Buzzard" when referring to New World Vultures is a mistake. See this URL for more information - http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/TVFacts.html

The real buzzards are hawks (Buteo buteo) which live from Europe to Asia. The pics are very neat and something not frequently seen and you are to be congratulated for getting such great and unusual shots. Now, let's call a Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura) what it is, a Turkey Vulture.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I corrected it Jerry, Thanks!

Jim
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Now isn't that nice; we have such an intelligent group of individuals here to help out. I'm not going to name them all cause they know who they are, spending their time in here helping others. Neat web site -- this is turning out to be!

Don....