Rattlesnakes anyone?

Jerry Feldner

Re: Rattlesnakes anyone?

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Iggy wrote:Jerry

No relation to the black, Old World vulture ( WHAT???) family, which includes the eagle, hawk, and kite, the buzzard is native to the Americans from southern Canada to the tip of Cape Horn.
calico
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by calico »

Here is a grumpy little guy I saw on a resent 6 day trip. We saw a few snakes.
One my buddy almost step on. It was very well behaved and showed no sign of aggregation. we figure his foot must have been with in 5 or 6'' from the rattlesnake.
I saw more snakes this year then I have in the last 5 years combined :ugeek:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... 330&page=6
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Calico: We've seen more this year also. Everything seems to go in cycles. Also the extra rain probably helped a little as know the kangaroo rats have seeds to eat -- seen more of then also. They are a major food source for snakes. Looks like you had fun!

Don....
Wonka22

Post by Wonka22 »

reptilist wrote:I agree that rattlesnakes shouldn't be allowed to roam freely in human neighborhoods...

But shouldn't the same rules and penalties apply to stray dogs?

At least with rattlesnakes, you can always trust them. They don't wag their tails as a gesture of good will and then bite you in the face.

I'm originally from SE Michigan so I don't know anything about the plants and animals in this area of the country.

I have heard a story tho that now a days some rattlers are actually NOT rattling to give warning??

I've only come across one, in the oilfields......and sadly he didn't survive the 10 people who came to witness him. I believe he was a Western Diamondback...but I cannot be sure.....Was a HUGE snake tho, and this one DEFINATELY rattled.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

They don't always rattle. Depends on their mood I suppose.
Also, in my opinion some populations of rattlesnakes are less prone to rattle because the ones that do are killed by people and so do not survive to reproduce. The quiet ones who prefer to remain hidden do survive to reproduce because they are not found out. Presumably their progeny will have the same tendency to remain calm and quiet.
Wonka22

Post by Wonka22 »

reptilist wrote:They don't always rattle. Depends on their mood I suppose.
Also, in my opinion some populations of rattlesnakes are less prone to rattle because the ones that do are killed by people and so do not survive to reproduce. The quiet ones who prefer to remain hidden do survive to reproduce because they are not found out. Presumably their progeny will have the same tendency to remain calm and quiet.

That is exactly the story that I heard, I just didn't have the vocabulary to put it as well as you. Thanks for the reply.

Guess I need to watch and not just listen in my backyard. LOL!!
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Wonka22 wrote: That is exactly the story that I heard, I just didn't have the vocabulary to put it as well as you. Thanks for the reply.

Guess I need to watch and not just listen in my backyard. LOL!!
Yes, paying attention to your surroundings and where you step and place your hands in the desert is a wise idea. You came to the right web site (and forum) to learn. You aren't going to find anyone more knowledgeable and informative than Reptilist and Jerry Feldner who post on this forum.
ElPaso2008

Post by ElPaso2008 »

reptilist wrote:Here's another venomous snake...The Sonoran Coral Snake.
If you leave these alone, they will leave you alone.

Anyone know if I can expect to see any Coral Snakes in the area east of El Paso?
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Probably not. According to the range maps in one of my texts, the Texas Coral does not go far enough West and the Arizona Coral doesn't go far enough East. But even if they did, you'd probably never see them as they are extremely fossorial and they are nothing to be afraid of unless you pick them up.