Beware: Your GPS Could Kill You

Moderator: Jim_b

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Beware: Your GPS Could Kill You

Post by yuccahead »

Two recent, unrelated stories of blindly following a GPS.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/80219837.html

http://www.katu.com/news/local/80252852.html
blacksha
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by blacksha »

AMEN.

I think a GPS is a very valuable tool.

But after saying that, I'd leave it at that. It's just that. Too many people treat them as extensions of their brains and just follow the GPS.

Those that rely completely on their GPS will learn the hard way. I've had a GPS break on me once out in the middle of nowhere and I've dropped one in the middle of the night.

If our ancestors could navigate without all these necessities, why can't we?

There is nothing better you can do for yourself, than to have as many backups as possible. Studying a topo map beforehand and being well skilled with a compass, as well as knowing the layout of the land--and paying attention while you hike to where various landmarks, there is nothing better you can do for your safety...

GPS's can be great for saving time. But you should use it for no other reason than just to do that. Always be prepared when you trek out there.

I've seen a lot of yahoos that have a GPS, that don't even know how to use it. And when you ask them where we're going, they say no worries I have a GPS. I'm stunned at these replies...

Lonne
http://www.WhatsBy.com
MILLIONS of *FREE* GPS Waypoints
Summits, springs, waterfalls, etc.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

We have a GPS - that goes with us. We have 3 or 4 compasses. They go with us. We have WAY too many maps. All pertinent maps (and the areas around them) - go with us. And our eyes, ears and brains go with us. And a ledger with several writing instruments.

We don't have a fancy GPS - just basic (considering what is out, now). I always mark major waypoints - trails off to the left or right - waypointed. Water - waypointed. Nasty trail - usually waypointed. Anything important also gets written in the ledger. A camera (at least one), goes with us. I have pictures of almost every camp we've made and stayed, along with trails and members of the trip. (info of pics also goes into ledger - always daily). If I ever go missing, and they find a camera or a ledger, they will never doubt which way we went. :lol:

When you mark waypoints on your GPS, it doesn't really need the map, where ever you are, you are, where you turn, you turn. It will also tell you, especially if you veer off the trail, which way you need to walk to get back to your waypoint. The GPS will tell me when I'm getting further away from my waypoint, or closer. So, if we have to go around, the GPS still knows where I am. If it doesn't, the compass reading will (of course, they are written down when waypoints are marked).
When we go tramping somewhere off trail, it gets recorded (have to, we can get carried away if we see something in the distance). And, we have still gotten turned around on a couple of occasions - though not lost, knock on wood, we always have a good idea of where we are, even if we are not where we are supposed to be.

I wanted to make a comment on having way too many maps - my opinion is that you can never have too many maps - but, when we go on a trip, we have our maps organized. Sewer pipe (the 3 or 4 inch white pvc pipe) is GREAT for storing your maps. We have one for every section we go to. We roll them up, put on the endcaps, and write on the tubes our names and the maps that are in the tube. The length is cut to whatever size the maps are. It makes them travel well, and when you get to where you are going, you can pull out the tube that corresponds to the area. (this came from traveling all across the country, including most of Canada and Alaska, and having WAY too many to keep together). Its worked well for over 30 years. (don't get the kind that is black inside - especially if you are going to where it gets hot - we found that out the hard way).

No matter what you take with you - always use your eyes and ears and your head. Watch where the sun is in the morning, so you know which way you are traveling regardless of the GPS or compass. Some places on this earth screw up both GPS's and compasses. Sometimes, depending on circumstances, your GPS won't pick up a signal - overcast conditions are one - the government is another. When we lived in Arizona, when the military base did manuevers, you could not get any satellite signal - or would not get enough - the government can, and does, occasionally block certain satellite signals, or they "roam" signals, especially during manuevers. Also, you will find that in California, especially near Edwards AFB and China Lake area. (top gun school training and when the shuttle may land there).

Your very best tool - is you.

Beth (Mrs.O)
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

All of those features came as standard equipment on this model, but are wearing out.

Problem is: I need to upgrade the user to version 2.0

TradClimber
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

10-4, and now that I have a very good GPSr,
http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate ... =pd_cp_e_1
I have to worry about it killing me?

About which I never worried 30 years ago? :P
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

[quote="

Problem is: I need to upgrade the user to version 2.0

TradClimber[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

I am fascinated by the Global Positioning System. I think it's a lot of fun, too!

A good read for the "nuts n' bolts" types is:
http://www.newgpssystems.com/gps_definition.htm

An interesting and pertinent web site is:
http://www.spaceweather.com/

A funny video (IMHO):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqpAksbYqv8

Enjoy!

Desertroad
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Desertoad posted:
I am fascinated by the Global Positioning System. I think it's a lot of fun, too!
I totally agree!
Don't forget about the user upgrade.

TradClimber
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

blacksha wrote:AMEN.

I think a GPS is a very valuable tool.

But after saying that, I'd leave it at that. It's just that. Too many people treat them as extensions of their brains and just follow the GPS.

Those that rely completely on their GPS will learn the hard way. I've had a GPS break on me once out in the middle of nowhere and I've dropped one in the middle of the night.

If our ancestors could navigate without all these necessities, why can't we?

There is nothing better you can do for yourself, than to have as many backups as possible. Studying a topo map beforehand and being well skilled with a compass, as well as knowing the layout of the land--and paying attention while you hike to where various landmarks, there is nothing better you can do for your safety...

GPS's can be great for saving time. But you should use it for no other reason than just to do that. Always be prepared when you trek out there.

I've seen a lot of yahoos that have a GPS, that don't even know how to use it. And when you ask them where we're going, they say no worries I have a GPS. I'm stunned at these replies...

Lonne
http://www.WhatsBy.com
MILLIONS of *FREE* GPS Waypoints
Summits, springs, waterfalls, etc.
I must agree with your statement about our ancestors navigating without a GPS. I personally, don't have one. I use a map, compass, and a dose of common sense to navigate when out in any wilderness. I've never become lost in the 30 years I've been going out into various wildernesses.
I DO realize and acknowledge the usefulness of the GPS. I just prefer to not have one.
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Many of the newspapers and some online news organization are now covering this subjects.

"'Death by GPS' in the desert"(Sacramento Bee, 1/30/11)
"Danger has long stalked those who venture into California's desert in the heat of summer." But as more people visit, "technology and tragedy are mixing in new and unexpected ways." Said Death Valley wilderness coordinator Charlie Callagan, "People are renting vehicles with GPS and they have no idea how it works and they are willing to trust the GPS to lead them into the middle of nowhere." Stories of deaths in the desert are "reminders that even with a growing suite of digital devices at our side, technology cannot guarantee survival in the wild. Worse, it is giving many a false sense of security and luring some into danger and death."

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/30/336272 ... esert.html