THE SEARCH FOR BARRY STORM'S CAVE ABOVE TORTILLA FLAT

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

THE SEARCH FOR BARRY STORM'S CAVE ABOVE TORTILLA FLAT

Post by Jim Hatt »

On 7-24-09, Sal Delagadillo and I took a hike up into the high cliffs behind Tortilla Flat, to look for the cave that Barry Storm lived in while finishing his book Thunder Gods Gold.

We never found the cave, but on our way out, Sal noticed something I had walked right past, and Sal called me back to see it. Right there in the entrance to a small cave, I had walked right by a pair (He and She?) of Desert Tortoises. The first ones I have ever seen in the mountains. I had to be fast to get the photos of them, because they were quick (Quick as a Tortoises could possibly be anyway) to turn around, and crawl into another small area out of sight in the back of the cave)

Photo of Sal standing beside the cave. (after the Tortoises disappeared into the back of it)

About a week later we made another attempt to locate Storm’s cave. We still didn’t find it, but we did come upon two very young Turkey Buzzards.

The first one was just sitting about 20 feet away from us on a rock. He didn’t seem to mind us being there until Sal took a couple steps closer. The little guy jumped off the rock and started running down the hill. We were standing there watching him, when Sal said he heard a Rattlesnake down where the little Buzzard had just run to, and said “De snake weel geet heem”, and off he went to save the him from the snake. While Sal was on his mission, I found a second little Buzzard that I watched disappear into a hole. When Sal returned with the first one, I showed him the hole I had found, and told him that a second little Buzzard had gone into it. When Sal put his up there close to it, he wasted no time disappearing into the hole too.

Score: Sal One… Snake Zero!

Link to Video:
http://i212.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... zzards.flv

The temperature during both of these trip was holding around 110 degrees. Sal and I have decided to wait until the weather cools of a little, before we make another attempt to find Storm’s cave, but we’ll never forget the things we did see, on the first two trips to look for it.