FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Post by Jim Hatt »

In May 1973, Frontier Times Magazine published an article about the Peralta Stone Maps by: Bernice and Jack McGee.

I have read the article many times in an effort to sort out anything that may be factual, from a somewhat "Sour Grapes" attitude by the McGee's. Obviously they had a genuine interest in the maps, and devoted a lot of time to researching the history behind them. It appears that the more they searched, the more conflicting the evidence became until they finally found it easier to concluded, that they were fakes than it was to figure them out!

The most interesting thing about this article to me, is the amount of material that has been extracted from it, and repeated in various books, magazines and articles, since it was published 36 years ago. Many theories, and conclusions appear to have been formed based on the information contained in it.

I have always wondered where the connection between Travis Tumlinson and the “Peg-Leg” from Dobie’s CORONADO’S CHILDREN” came from, and now I know. In the last 36 years it appears that other authors, have built their own stories around this connection, and embellished it to the point that it is almost believable.

Stone Map aficionado’s that have never read this article before, will find it interesting, and enlightening, about the origin of many of the variations in the history of who, how, where and when the maps were found.

It is hard to take the article seriously, when the authors cleverly weave their opinions into what might actually be fact, and describe the Priest Map with a phrase like:

“ From the priest’s hand a church-cross is held extended like a fishing pole. Dangling beneath is a back-lashed line of charm bracelet rejects-crescents, crosses, day-old doughnuts, a few numerals, and a small heart.”

That one quotation gives a lot of insight, to the mindset of the authors, when the article was written.

I am sure that everyone that reads this article will find things in it, that they agree with, and disagree with, no matter what their own personal beliefs are, because it was written without purpose, focus, direction or continuity. It repeats every tale from every source, with little or no concern for historical accuracy, or credibility for their sources. Many assumptions are made, and then expanded to a point of absurdity, that makes it difficult to continue reading.

I believe that this one article, is the primary source for the majority of the misinformation, and conflicting stories, that have been in circulation, about the stone maps, for nearly 40 years. Judge for yourself:

Rex Western
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: FRONTIER TIMES - 1973 - PERALTA STONE MAPS ARTICLE

Post by Rex Western »

Jim,

I notice you stated you always wondered were the connection between Travis Tumlinson and Peg-Leg in Dobies book came from. I did some research on that very subject awhile back and this is what I came up with.

Travis J. Tumlinson 1911-1961 was the son of John Jackson Tumlinson Jr. 1882-1957 Was the Son of John Jackson Tumlinson Sr. 1848-1920 (a.k.a. Peg-Leg Tumlinson) I spoke with Dr. Hargus' Grandson, Dr. Hargus being the one who cut off Peg-Leg's leg and the same one who was in Dobies book. And recieved Geneology from a Tumlinson family memeber. There is pretty compelling evidence that Travis Tumlinson is the Grandson of Peg-Leg Tumlinson in J. Frank Dobie's Coronado's Children. Their was no doubt or confilicting information from these sources. I did compare this information to Census records from Texas and all the recorded information on the Geneology charts I received matched with Census records without inconsistancies.

Rex
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Thanks for the info Rex,

That would explain how the McGees's might have made the connection between "Travis" and "Peg-Leg". Do you have any links or references to the material you found? Id like to see them become a part of this forum for future readers.

The questions still remain... Can any link be made between Peg-Leg and the stone maps, (The old story about him bringing them out of Old Mexico as Azmula believes) and if so... How did they become so physically/distantly separated from the stone crosses and Latin heart?

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I think we should kick those questions around a bit, bounce them off the walls, bang them on the table, and see if anything shakes loose.

If Travis T. had got the stone maps from his father (Peg-Leg), instead of finding them along hwy 60 in the foothill of Superstition like he claimed he did.

Wouldn't that have been a much better story for recruiting assistance and investors in his attempt to solve them?

What is there about the stone maps, that would lead anyone to believe that they applied to the Superstition Mountains, other than the location where Travis claimed to have found them?

If they had been brought out of Mexico, wouldn't that have been the most logical place to assume they applied to?

For this one, you would have to already have become comfortable, with the idea that the Latin heart and stone crosses, are a valid part of the stone map set. If they are... (As I believe) then, why weren't they also found by Peg-Leg in Mexico with the other pieces?

Now Rex... I understand, why someone like yourself, myself, Al Reser, Clay Worst, Chuck Kenworthy and a few others, that have spent a LOT of time out in the mountains, would consider the possibility that the stone maps are authentic, and that the stone crosses and Latin heart are legitimate pieces of them, a lot more than someone who had not. 'Nuff said on that subject.

I have never heard Clay come right out and publicly defend them, but on the other hand, I have never heard him publicly dismiss them either. There are things that he and I, have both observed while standing side by side, out in the mountains, that I know have caused him to consider the possibility, that at least some of the pieces of stone map set may be authentic.

Some day he may publicly back me up on that, or he might announce that he was just humoring me at the time???

Jim
Rex Western

Post by Rex Western »

Jim,

I always had a problem with Clarence Mitchells description of How Travis T. dug up the maps. Read it, reconstruct what he says and do the math. It does not compute. Someone is not correct in the story telling.

Rex
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I agree Rex,

There are several things about Mitchel's story that differ from other accounts of Tumlinson's own version of how, and where the stones were found. For example... The 8-N-P appears to have been worked into how Mitchel says Tumlinson says he found some of the pieces. That is a big conflict with how people like Bill Hidden (Who knew Tumlinson, and had been to the area with him, looking for more stones with inscriptions on them) and others described the event.

At this point in time. It is my own personal opinion, that trying to determine who lied, and who bent and stretched the truth, for their own self serving purposes, would be non productive, and put us no closer to the end of the trail shown on the maps.

Jim
Rex Western

Post by Rex Western »

Jim,

One thing that I have noticed with anyone involved in trying to crack the Stone's code is this. When they can't, in someway it seems they get angry with themselves for being in their mind, sucked in, and take it out, by slamming the authenticity of the Stone Maps. If I never find anything, as a result of my work, my research has given me the firm opinion that these Stone Maps are authentic, and lead to a specific place. My opinion will not change from failure. Only my opinion on my abilities. I will forever remain convinced beyond a reasonable doubt, and hence, will never give up the search. The more I study, the clearer the picture becomes.
Rex
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I couldn't agree with you more Rex!

Over the years I have observed a pattern for both people who believe in the stone maps, and those who don't. Those who have spent a lot of time in the mountains, in a lot of different areas, are much more likely to become believers, than those who have not.

Invariably, those who have seen things out in the mountains, that have convinced them that the maps are authentic, are not anxious to share what they have seen publicly. The same thing goes for people who hunt for the "Dutchman". It's just the nature of the Beast!

Where ever there is financial gain at stake, competition increases. It's no different than GM keeping their R&D secrets from, Ford and Chrysler.

Al Reser was working on a book when he died. That book... If he had lived long enough to finish it, and get it published. Would have probably been the best thing ever published about the history of the stone maps, and his theory about how to decipher them.

Several boxes of his information, including photographs, and his unfinished manuscript disappeared, just before he was admitted to the Rest Home where he died. In one way, I would have liked to have seen that information published. In another, I am a little relieved that it never was.

Al never solved the maps, to the point of knowing where to put the pick in the ground, but he never wavered in his, faith that the place did exist. I am sure he would have enjoyed reading your post above as much as I did.

Jim

Rex Western

Post by Rex Western »

Jim,

I could only hope to be out there in my 90's. That would be the next best treasure I could find. Some things are better chased then caught.

Rex
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I have enjoyed the "Chase" Rex, but I sure would like to do the "Caught" thing just once before I die! :lol:

Jim