Bob Brewer and the KGC Angle

Moderator: Jim_b

WixMoran
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Bob Brewer and the KGC Angle

Post by WixMoran »

Just curious what the feeling among contributors is about "Hillbilly" Bob Brewer's assertion that the LDM is in fact a KGC cache site? I suspect this might have been a topic on the older forum, as his book was published a number of years ago and has since faded into a certain degree of obscurity. I think for me the most interesting aspect was that he was presenting a beleif in the existence and evidences of the treasure from a completely new vantage point. I suspect that is the same reason many here might not give his "slant" more than a precursory glance but to those who are familiar with the man, the book, and his ideas I'd really like your feedback on what people thought of his work as a whole.

I had intended to place this topic in the sub-forum but there is no button there for adding new topics. Lookign forward to your insights...
djui5

Re: Bob Brewer and the KGC Angle

Post by djui5 »

No.
WixMoran

Post by WixMoran »

Thanks for the insight and the time it took to post it...
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Wix,

Of course I can't speak for every last member, but I think the majority of the people here, believe that the LDM was a mine. That is one of the few common threads in both the Thomas and Holmes versions of the legend.

More often than not, the people who write that the "Dutchman" might have gotten his gold from a cache, and not a mine, are not very well educated on the subject. The majority of them cannot tell you who Brownie Holmes father was, or the name of Sims Ely's partner. That's a good indicator of the depth of their research. It is very common for people to jump to the wrong conclusion, when they are not familiar enough with the facts, to arrive at the correct one.

All new Topics begin here in the Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting forum. From here they get moved (By me) into the Sub-Forums as appropriate

Jim
Guz

Post by Guz »

Ok. How about a thread devoted to "facts". What are the facts?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Guz wrote:Ok. How about a thread devoted to "facts". What are the facts?
Facts about what Guz? The topic here is: Bob Brewer and the KGC Angle. Who are you addressing your post to, and what subject (The KGC or the LDM) are you looking for facts about?

Jim

P.S. I'm afraid a thread devoted to nothing but "Facts" about either subject would be very short.
Guz

Post by Guz »

How about "the" subject. you know what I meant Jim. Are there any?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Guz,
Never assume I know what you mean...
Especially when I go out of my way to ask you to explain it.
djui5

Post by djui5 »

WixMoran wrote:Thanks for the insight and the time it took to post it...
Sure :) Seriously, I feel the KGC had absolutely nothing to do with Waltz's mine at all. His mine was just that, a mine. He called it a mine and was more than enough of a miner to be qualified enough to know the difference between a mine and a cache of treasure. He was close to some of the biggest mine discoveries in Arizona's history. Think about it. Anyone who tries to connect the KGC caches with Waltz is reaching like a monkey in a cage reaching for a banana 10' outside the cage. :lol:
WixMoran

Post by WixMoran »

I've always felt brewer tried too hard to connect every treasure of significance to the KGC and in so doing undermined his own credability to a lesser extent. I genuinely feel he's onto something, particularly the relevancy of his system of maps and overlays as it pertains to the Texas Spider Rocks treasure. I'm on the fence with the LDM and the KGC, mostly because I'm not familiar enough to make a definitive judgment. Brewer has told me that pretty much every major treasure in the Southwest is a KGC cover story, and this I have a mard time accepting. When you consider the Spanish, the Indians, and outlaws that have operated in this area for the last 400 years it seems logical that some of those have their own "stories" that are independent of KGC exploits.

That said Brewer's take on the Peralta maps was pretty fascinating, and if you buy into his overall beleif system anything Waltz said about the mine is suspect, as it seems clear Brewer beleives he was in fact a KGC Sentinal. The other thing Brewer has working in his favor is the time frame. The bulk of the Dutchman stories take place followign the Civil War and seems to fit the timeline he proposes for KGC influence in the area.

Something else Brewer has in his favor is results. I think the things he puti n his book are intriguing. Even more intriguing is his grasp of symbols that enabled treasure hunters to recover a hoard in Madagascar based on his itnerpretation of symbols as noted in National Geographic. I think he's onto something in general, but tends to "overreach," but in the scheme of things I don't think that's a real mark against him.

For better of worse his concepts shed some new perspective on the LDM, I was simply curious what the more "seasoned" LDM hunters thought of his ideas.