ELK IN THE WILD

Spyder
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

ELK IN THE WILD

Post by Spyder »

Although I have been lurking on this site for a very long time, I just recently registered as a user. Very interested in LDM, the Superstitions, and the mysteries surrounding them but know little too nothing about prospecting or treasure hunting so have just been acting the sponge and soaking up all the useful information given by the forum posters here.

As far as deer go (and elk as well), they are pretty much color blind and if you do not move you can be standing right in front of them and if the wind is in your favor and is blowing your scent away from them they will not detect you. I have had a doe and fawn approach me and proceed to bed in a patch of saw grass not more then 2 ft away from me as I sat with my back to a tree waiting for that big buck to come out from behind that tree (which he never did).

Attached is a photo of an Elk that approached us as we were resting in a gulley with our backs agains a small cliff face and the wind in our faces just outside the badlands. Lucky for him it was Turkey Season...

reptilist

Re: ELK IN THE WILD

Post by reptilist »

Hey Spyder!
I'm sorry I missed this post! I must have been out of town.
Beautiful Elk pic, I would be proud to have taken that photo!

Welcome to the forum!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I've been told the elk populations have been on the increase across the southwest in the past decade. Arizona has been holding depredation hunts in some areas to reduce populations to more sustainable levels. Great photo and welcome to the forum.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

There have been elk seen moving into desert areas in my area of the state.