Skunk living under the house.

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Skunk living under the house.

Post by yuccahead »

reptilist wrote:Why would a skunk be hibernating here? It's not even cold outside.
Do they just have a strong urge to sleep in the winter
They don't hibernate but they do "den up' for several days at a time in the winter. They still have to go out and feed every so often. Best thing to do, IMO, is to prepare a piece of plywood with some fine sand or powder and place it in front of the access point. They go out to hunt after dark so check the sanded board every hour or so for several nights and when you see tracks- block it off.
Hopefully you don't have a mating pair or more than one. Skunks are very social and not territorial, they'll share a den with each other.
They mate mid-late winter and by spring you could have 4-6 more under there.
They also have a very high incidence of rabies, avoid getting too close to him.
silent_Freak18
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by silent_Freak18 »

I live in a three-level split house that has a crawl space under the main living area and the house itself had given birth.Then, I have skunks living under my house, they have been there for years, their odor is so strong my house. I tried to use a basement dehumidifier to avoid the moisture, and it is still good in my house. SEO Services
Last edited by silent_Freak18 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Skunks like dark places.

Has anyone tried putting a flood light under the house to chase them out?

Jim
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Not me.

TC
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

That's a thought Jim!
I have a drop light I can pitch back in there.

I had a local handyman slide in there to eyeball the insulation that has been damaged. He did not see the skunk, but based on the dilution of the aroma since then, I think he may have inadvertantly scared it out of there...for now.
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Terry,

3 things I can think of:

1. The rabies thing is real, and can be transmitted as an aerosol (don't have to touch saliva or be bitten)

2. Havahart with a blanket over it might do it.

3. There was an internal NPS publication on animal proofing buildings (think of all the houses, offices, and work buildings NPS has). The thrust was hanta-virus, so it was aimed at keeping out even small mice. You can google for it ( it is a .pdf) If you can't find it, I might be able to.

p/s glad to hear the good news! Happy Los Tres Reyes Magos!!!

Sycamore
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Thanks for the info Sycamore!

I have a chemical respirator, rubber suit and goggles....
I had a contractor go underneath to evaluate the damaged insulation and he did not see the skunk.
At this point I think I will have to go down and find the tunnel entrance.

I saw a program on TV a while back about a skunk expert/skunks and he said that skunks do not have a higher than average rate of rabies than other wild animals. He said that foxes do, but skunks do not. I'm no expert on the subject.

What is "Happy Los Tres Reyes Magos!!!" ???
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

The Three Wise Kings, ( 3 wise men), traditionally the feast is celebrated in Mexico on January 6th. January 6 ( 2 weeks after Christmas) is assumed to be the day the wise men got to Bethlehem and presented their gifts of Gold, Frankincense, and Myrhh.

Kids put their shoes outside the front door, and in the morning find candy, coins (and maybe a scorpion?) in them.

Sycamore
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/rabies/

As of December 7, 2009, the Arizona State Health Laboratory has confirmed the highest number of rabies cases in animals on record for any year in Arizona. 244 animals have tested positive for rabies including 68 bats, 115 skunks, 47 foxes, 6 bobcats, 2 coyotes, 3 horses, one ringtail, one cow, and one cat
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Thanks again!