Moderator: Jim_b

thomgallen
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Finding H2O in Mojave National Preserve

Post by thomgallen »

Hi everybody,
My name is Thom and I'm new to DUSA.
I am a backpacker from the east coast and I'm planning a trip to Mojave in mid Feb.
The rout I chose will depend largely on the availability of drinking water.
I have a rudimentary map I printed off the web. It identifies six places to get drinking water: Nipton, Hole-In-The-Wall, Mid-Hills, Fenner, Providence Mountain State Recreation Area, and Baker.
I'd like to know of any others, particularly in the area between Mid-Hills and Baker as well as the Clark Mountain area.
I'm hoping some locals or experienced desert hikers will be able to fill me in. Are there naturally occurring sources out there? And if so are they potable with such treatment as I can carry with me?
An other words of wisdom for a woodsman who will be a little out of his element would be appreciated as well.
Thank you all and thanks for letting me be part of your group.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Finding H2O in Mojave National Preserve

Post by yuccahead »

Hi Thom and welcome to DUSA. It's been a long time since I've been to MNP but, being in the Mojave, I doubt there are any reliable water sources but, there are people here that get out there regularly that might be able to help.
I just thought I'd let you know there is a recent thread about the MNP at backpacker.com.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forum ... 9991131859

Maybe it'll help some.
thomgallen

Post by thomgallen »

my apologies for accidentally posting this in the photograph forum. It was unintentional I assure you.
lara

Post by lara »

best thing to do is to contact the mnp office in barstow. and i am not sure this is the same info given before, but this looks pretty comprehensive.

be aware that many areas of the mnp are still pretty cold in february. it is the high part of "high desert." check with the different visitor centers.

http://www.summitpost.org/area/range/17 ... chapter_14
yenndee

Post by yenndee »

Where's hotel or boarding house to stay in KL for backpacker? I'm from Indonesia, I mean if I want to stay for a month in KL, and it doesn't have to cost much. Maybe like jalan jaksa in Jakarta if we compared to.