INTRODUCTION-Talk Rocks w/ Ed Arno <roc2rol>

Jim Hatt

Re: LAPIDARY Talk with Ed

Post by Jim Hatt »

Morning Paul,

As pretty as they are, my Uncle said they were sort of top Jewelry Grade because of the fractures in the rock. Since the rock was found on top of the ground. It was exposed to the extreme desert temperatures which caused it to expand during the day, and contract at night. He said the best stuff would be found a foot or two under ground, where it would be protected from the varying temperatures.

Jim
roc2rol
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by roc2rol »

Hi Guys!

What little I know about opal is that the flash, fire, play of colors
comes from a trapped like gel substance.
Most likely silicon based. This also accounts for the
rings in agates that can be so pronounced.

The fissure in the stones also proves the marvelous technique that you uncle performed.
Nothing so heartbreaking as working a stone and having it break. UUUGGGHHH !

You really have my interest peaked Jim, with what might be a few feet underground. :shock:

Ed
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I understand what you are saying about "a few feet underground" Ed, but you must remember that the "ground" is within the boundaries of the Superstition Wilderness Area, where picking up a rock, that is laying on the surface, is considered a "grab sample", and digging down a few feet for it could be considered as "Mining".

:(

Unless of course you were digging a hole to take a really big "Dump" in. :lol:

See the discussion at: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... ump#p13996 Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Part of which I quoted below.

Jim Hatt wrote:Frank,

If you cannot find the answer to your question in the preceeding posts, I don't know what to tell you.

Except... If you are out in the mountains and all of a sudden you have to take a "dump", you are supposed to dig a hole to do it in, and bury it when you are done. (There is no specified depth)

If a Ranger happens to come along while you are digging a hole and asks you what you are doing... I, in the same circumstance - would just tell him I was digging a hole to take a "Dump" in.

He might call you a liar, but that would be pretty hard for him to prove wouldn't it?

Jim

P.S. If he asks you about the metal detector laying beside the hole, you can "kindly" explain to him that you couldn't dig with it in your hands.

P.P.S Be sure to fill in the hole when you are done with it, so nobody steps in it and sprains an ankle. ;)
Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:I understand what you are saying about "a few feet underground" Ed, but you must remember that the "ground" is within the boundaries of the Superstition Wilderness Area, where picking up a rock, that is laying on the surface, is considered a "grab sample", and digging down a few feet for it could be considered as "Mining".

:(

Unless of course you were digging a hole to take a really big "Dump" in. :lol:

See my post at: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... ump#p13996 Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:11 pm

Jim
Hey, it would only be environmentally conscientious to dig down far enough so as to let nature take it's course wouldn't it? :)

Jim - just out of curiosity, is there any chance what you found on the surface was brought/placed there by someone and not natural to the area?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

No chance Paul,
Over the course of about 2 years, I brought out 25-30 pounds of it.
There are small stringers of it to be found in the bedrock all over the area.

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

cubfan64 wrote:
Hey, it would only be environmentally conscientious to dig down far enough so as to let nature take it's course wouldn't it? :)
I agree! You want it buried deep enough so as not to offend anyone that may be passing by a short time later! :D

If you were to go there... You might find a bunch of small places where I tried to dig a hole big enough, to let nature "take it's course in", but I was unsuccessful in making a big enough hole in the bedrock and gave up.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

By the way Paul & Ed,

The old BFO (beat Frequency Oscillator) and VLF (Very Low Frequency) metal detectors, are great for finding pockets of Opal that you can't even see hidden in the bedrock.

They detect a difference in the density of the material they are passing over. A pocket of Opal in the bedrock, will cause a frequency shift of the output tone.

They can also be used to detect soft spots in the bedrock, in case you need to dig a hole to let nature take it's course in. That's the only thing I ever carried one of those old obsolete metal detectors for.
:mrgreen:
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Ha! Ha ! That’s really funny & informative guys!
With my rock hounding skills that’s
probably all I would find! :roll:

Actually that may not be all a bad thing.
Many rock hound claim to find coprolite.
That’s the scientific name for petrified excrement.
I’m always skeptical. How would they know?
But it certainly is an substance that is found.
Hopefully not on the bottom of your shoes :|

I deleted the original pic because I really didn't have
permission to post it from the owner.

So I post this as a more positive I.D.
Now that looks like real dump from a dino :mrgreen:
http://geomaps.wr.usgs.gov/coprolite/
Last edited by roc2rol on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
roc2rol

Re: Rock Hounding & Lapidary

Post by roc2rol »

In Helen Corbin book, “Bible of LDM…”
is a newspaper clipping from the
‘Arizona Daily Herald’ October 5, 1899 (pg 233).
This article is entitled:
Jim Bark’s Find
Old Olla Found on Superstition Filled With Aztec Arrowheads!

It seems that Jim Bark found a earthenware jar full of Aztec arrowheads.
Over 800 of them and some turquoise beads also.
The interesting thing from a rock hounds point of view,
is that these arrowheads were crafted from moss agate.
Arrowheads made from this decorative mineral must have been made for aesthetic purposes.
Moss agate is a pretty rock and aptly named for the biological like features of its mossy appearance.

Maybe the arrowheads were used for some
ceremonial procedure or as bodily jewelry?
It seems that for hunting ---> obsidian, chert or flint --->
would be more practical.
But I suppose in that day when you needed an arrow head you used what ever was immediately available.
Fast too!
Cause that mountain lion is coming on quick!

Anyway the Superstitions are full mystery and wonders!
I really respect people who can find interesting minerals,
arrowhead & fossils. A good eye and attuned to the
peculiarity of nature. What a talent!

As is evident in that fire opal you found Jim.
Let me ask a question about that.
Was the opal encrusted in matrix of other mineral?
What does it look like raw? If that make any sense.

Ed
Jim Hatt

Re: Rock Hounding & Lapidary

Post by Jim Hatt »

Opal looks just like a chunk of quartz in the raw Ed. Except it has a "waxy" look to it. I don't know how else to explain it.

Jim