Re: MONUMENTS & MARKERS

Moderator: Jim_b

javaone
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by javaone »

Thanks Tom!

I never noticed that until you mentioned it.

Now it's as plain as day! :D

Jerry
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Jerry,

Now we know where all these strange names come from. :lol:
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Here is another arch in tributary of Roger's Canyon. This arch is a little difficult to see, but it is a good size one. They all fit the description of an eye when it comes to the many treasure maps associated with the Superstition Wilderness Area. You see my horse's ear in the lower center position of the film frame. This photo was probably taken around 1975, maybe a little earlier. It is along the trail between Tortilla Summit and Angel Basin in Roger's Canyon in the Superstition Wilderness Area, AZ.

Tom K.

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

This is one arch that I had hoped to get a closer look at during my last trip.
It was photographed from a higher peak about 3/4 mile away and the location looks kinda interesting.The bare area to the left of the arch has me puzzled and the apparent trail leading to the arch as well.

Regards:Wayne

Last edited by Anonymous on Mon May 31, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Repaired Image link
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I'm probably wrong SH because I'm sure up close those are HUGE rocks, but from this distance it has a "less than natural" appearance to it.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

GENTLEMEN:

I think I have the GPS coordinates somewhere for that particular arch. I think I have photographed some twenty or twenty-five arches during the past fifty years in the
Superstition Wilderness Area. One of the largest arches is on Fraser Mountain, but the one in a tributary of Fish Creek is also very large.

I glad you found the photo interesting. It was suppose to be B/W, but I forgot. I try to stay away from color.

Tom K.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Paul:
Judging by the size of the mesquite and cholla on the hill,the arch opening looks to be maybe 8x8 or10x10,and natural.What looks to have been tampered with is the area around that strange looking circular thing to the upper left.I was in the same area a few weeks ago,but was just too short on time and energy to make the climb to the top.
Did something wrong when posting the pic....I'll try again.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Tom:
One type of marker,that I recall has been attributed to the spanish,is the "whitewashed" rock or boulder.

This one seems to have been dislodged recently,having crushed the mesquite just above.

A second one also stands out amidst the surrounding terrain.

Most of the white layer of "stucco" has fallen away from the sides and top,but most remains on the outward face.Notice how the white layers follow the contours of the original boulder surface,but vary in thickness at the high and low points.

Wayne
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Sorry Tom:
Forgo to ask my question. :oops:
Have you come across,or heard of,anything similar out there,or other odd and seemingly out of place uses of "stucco/cement/caliche"?

Regards:Wayne
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Wayne:

The only thing I recall at the moment is in white strip on a rock face between Boulder Canyon and La Barge on the old trail from Boulder over to La Barge that enters La Barge just above the Lower Box. Joe Mays had a camp here in July of 1980. Everett Johnston and Lane packed him into the area for two week. He had two of his guys hike up to the white strip and they thought it was painted on, but they didn't know what kind of material was used. The last time I rode across from Boulder to La Barge on that trail the strip was still there. It could be plaster, cliche, or white wash. I doubt it is white wash or it would have worn off by now. I have been told it was a mining marker (claim marker) or something like that. I will take a look and see if I have a photo somewhere.

Tom K.