Moderator: Jim_b

Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: UFO Sightings in Mineralized Areas

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocky,

I'm laughing about the truck story - been there, done that in this neck of the woods.

In fact, right now - we are getting the "melt" with the gumbo coming up. It is sticky, slippery stuff, and I am always complaining about having "fat feet", because, as you walk through it, it builds up on your shoes, and your feet get bigger and bigger with the mud. :lol: And scraping it off on a welcome mat just doesn't do it.

Funny, when we spent some time in the Arkansas diamond mine (Murfreesboro), we had a rain - and that ground does the exact same thing. The "fat feet" syndrome. I walked right out of my boots!

Beth (Mrs. O)
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
I walked right out of my boots!
Beth (Mrs. O)
That’s funny!

and that an excellent idea –Rock
camera mounted rocks with GPS tracking !
heck if this happening on Earth imagine a place like Mars !!

It does makes me wonder tho…
with all the talk of the playa, adobe, gumbo ect…
and its tendency towards slickness,
what role fraud may play?
It sounds like a person could push a rock fairly easy!
That be test I’d revel in trying!
My screen name is actually a homage to the Myth of Sisyphus
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

One of the mysteries is that there are no tracks near the rocks. I just don't think it's the ice, more likely winter winds. I'm very intrigued by the ones that veer off away from the others. I think it's more than just simple Newtonian physics. Maybe there are aliens, laughing their butts off at us over this. :)

I know "playa" means something like "dry lake," but the unintended pun is fun too, like somebody is playing with us.

Now, here's a project for some scientist: invent boots that the mud won't stick to. I'll bet the military would sponsor the research, since it might be used for tires. On the other hand, if the mud won't stick, would there be enough traction to drive (or stand up)?

-Rock
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

The spanish use the word "playa" to mean "the beach". I don't know how that fits, but, that's the translation anyway.
Maybe referring to a specific area.

My biggest question would be - eventually, it dries up - and you end up with something akin to concrete. Which means, when it is dry, you can walk on it without ever leaving a footprint.

So, could it be a timing thing?

Beth (Mrs. O)
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

I'm not sure about the concrete deal. I know that baked adobe is a ceramic, but my experience with it in Colorado, Wyoming and Arizona is that when it dries, it turns into very fine grained dust. I think the way to solve the mystery is to fit some of the more mobile rocks with GPS units, which can be quite small, then use movement to activate remote cameras, hidden in the surrounding higher locations, to record the movement. I think this can be done with limited funds. I'm guessing funds can be found at local universities.

-Rock
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

You’re a think’n son-of-a-gun -Rock!

You bring up an interesting conjecture
that blows up my fraud hypothesis ---to an extent.

Lets’ assume it wind and some other strange anomaly of nature
that occurs under just the right conditions of the turf.
Something like a certain element, such as fluorine, mixes just
right with other minerals and creates a Teflon type surface.
Very slippery. Now this phenomena may disappear as quickly as it appears.
But for the purpose of this thought experiment we established the natural conditions/

The first human observance in writing I’ve read dates back to 1948.
Can we assume that this phenomena was happening before then?
Or have these condition just occurred in recent times?

I would think these sliding rocks have been going on for a long time.
Maybe ages. Previous generations of people would have observed this phenomena.
The Timbisha Shoshone Tribe have lived there for over 1000years.
If it occurred 100's of years ago Image their dis-belief! Or magic mystification.
But certainly they would have tried moving those rocks themselves.
If successful--- they would have created at least a cairn ---if not a rock house! A pyramid!

So that’s my logic on why its not a fraud. Not airtight granted.
Especially if it is’ beings’ from the air playing a fun joke.
Maybe it some sort of board game they play? :ugeek:
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Rocky,

It doesn't all turn into a dust out here in Wyoming (we are 10 miles from Wyoming line, and Mr. O works at a ranch in Wyoming), plus we used to live there for a couple of years.

Some of it does, indeed, get dusty - but, Wyoming being Wyoming, it usually blows away! :lol: You can end up with deep seated tracks, or, you can end up with it looking like nobody has been around forever - or eventually cracking and looking like a dry lake bed, and everything inbetween. (you ought to try to garden in this stuff :D ) That's part of the reason you can still see parts of the old Oregon Trail.

My son used to dig fossils in Wyoming (on the ranch), and sometimes you need a pick with lots of "arse" behind it, and sometimes, you don't. This gumbo seems to be able to get harder in places than the rocks around them! (or darn close).

It is NOT adobe. (though you can make adobe out of it, I have no doubt - because we certainly did it in Arizona).

We were showing a friend of ours, a couple of years ago, (from another state), how you could cut a block out of it with a shovel, and it leaves the sides of the gumbo shiney. But, it has to be mixed with other things to make adobe out of it. It doesn't have enough sand in it. Plus you have to add something like straw or certain grasses, in proper amounts, to make it real adobe. (the kind you want to trust to build with).

It is very easy to see tracks when its wet - it gets very difficult to find newer tracks if something is walking on it when its dry.

Beth (Mrs. O)
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Roc, I would like to see somebody talk to those local Indians to see if there's a tradition about it.

Mrs. O, the place where my father did the sliding truck trick was on the Old Aerial Gunnery Range north of 287 near the Sweetwater. They used to not shoot on Sundays, so we would go pick Sweetwater Agates that day. One day, they forgot the schedule or something, since a big gunship started shooting above us. Next thing we knew, there was the oddest whistling sound and very large brass started falling around us. I still have some of the cartridges, about half again as big as the 50 caliber brass we normally found there. We knew a family that lived there, named Murphry, that had a number of 50 caliber holes through their house. Nobody was ever hit, but it was still a scary situation. Sam Peterson had died and his wife, Beulah, ran Peterson's Home on the Range gas station in that general area. That was before the Jeffreys City debacle. They got mail from all over the world from people wanting the Home on the Range postmark.

I have wanted to return to the area and hunt the site of the Sweetwater Massacre in the spring, after the snow melts but before the snakes get active. That's a very snaky place in the summertime.

-Rock
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

I've been through the Sweetwater area (but only on my way to somewhere else ;) ).

We are in the NE Wyoming/SW South Dakota (Black Hills) area.

I'll bet the Massacre Site would be a cool spot to hang around for a few days! :D

The last time I did the slip-sliding was on my way to the post office today - it rained/snowed yesterday :lol: Getting down the road (even though sideways) was not bad, its making the turn to come back up that was the problem. :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I do understand that truck sliding deal. Everytime we have to cross one of the fields to look for new calves, its an "adventure" - 4 wheel drive or not. Stopping isn't always on the menu either - well, stopping where you want to, and then getting out of the truck and staying on your feet for the first few seconds. :lol:

What I hate the most is after we get home. I keep a hammer and a chisel near the door to hammer off the dried gumbo.

Luckily, there is not lots of rainfall here, so, it doesn't last all year.

Beth (Mrs.O)
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Where the Sweetwater River (we would call that a creek in Oklahoma) crosses 287, there's really nice little sweetwater agates to the north and jade to the south. You have to go south until the land drops off. I assume the dirt road is still there. The massacre site is a little green swamp to the west of the road a ways south of 287. By the time the weather gets friendly, the skeeters are pure murder there, so I doubt you would want to camp. Some miles south of where the jade fields start there used to be an old oil drilling camp that was run by Percy Armitage. We used to camp there for weeks. I once attended the Wyoming Republican Convention with Mrs. Armitage and had a very good time. I was around 12 years old. Percy was originally from England and always wore a black bowler derby hat. (Mrs. said he even wore it to bed.)

I used to hate Wyoming, usually so cold and cloudy, longing for McElmo Canyon in southern Colorado, but now, looking back, it's Wyoming I miss and want to revisit. The highway repair station at Muddy Gap was managed by Hap Van Drasek, a friend of my dad's. I remember the long poles the snowplow drivers used, to stay on the road when the snow was 16 feet deep. We often got real snows in September there.

Here's a picture of dad, milking a snake:
http://www.rockyfrisco.com/donsnake.jpg

Here we are in Wyoming:
http://www.rockyfrisco.com/49donruthlura.jpg
I'm not in the picture since I was taking it.

Here's our rig, parked across the road from Hap's station:
http://www.rockyfrisco.com/49Wyoming.jpg

-Rock