New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

Sandman

New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

Post by Sandman »

State Launches Toll-Free Hotline To Report OHV Violations Permalink comment E-mail
By ABQNews Staff
Thursday, 11 February 2010 12:02
People who see an ATV, dirt bike or other off-highway vehicle violation can call the 24-hour automated hotline to report it

The state has launched a new toll-free hotline for people to report off-highway vehicle violations.

The state Game and Fish Department said in a news release Thursday that the number is 800-366-4868. All reports are confidential.

The 24-hour automated hotline is designed for people who see an ATV, dirt bike or other off-highway vehicle in violation of OHV laws to report it, according to the news release. Callers are prompted for basic information, which is forwarded to the OHV program manager for investigation.

Callers are asked to provide:

* Date and time of violation
* Location and county
* Type of vehicle involved -- ATV, dirt bike, snowmobile, side-by-side
* Details of violation
* Suspect information, vehicle description and license plate
* Your name and phone number if you wish to be contacted

The department, which launched the OHV Violations Hotline on Wednesday, wants people who witness violations to report them but is discouraging people from confronting violators. The department also advises that in case of emergencies, people should call 911.

For more information about state OHV laws and the department's Off-Highway Vehicle Program, call 505-476-8140 or go to NMDGF or B4URIDE.COM.
Stanley

Re: New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

Post by Stanley »

Sandman, please post the link from the official site of this. This looks like it was taken from a COW site. It doesn't make sense. "Details of violation". Average citizens know the vehicle code?

Something is fishy here. ;)
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/ohv/doc ... ws2009.htm

The vehicle code and applicable laws in regard to OHVs are easily accessable. I'm not sure why Stanley would question the need for an operator of a motor vehicle to know the laws pertaining to it's use. When a person operates a motor vehicle they are responsible for their actions regardless. Ignorance is no excuse.
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

I'll bet they end up shutting it down after they get flooded with bogus calls. Don't like your Nabors and they have dirt bikes? Call 800-366-4868 and let them do the dirty work for you.

Later,

PBiZ
Allen

Post by Allen »

I just did a quick search of the Albuquerque Journal and it came up blank when searching Key Words and phrases shown in the posted article. It's still the right thing to do by reporting gross violators but it sounds like either that enforcement program is now gone, or perhaps the original source was bogus.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

From the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish/New Mexico Wildlife:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publica ... tline.html

This is from the same site that Sandman posted above and yes, it is real.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Cool idea!
Disrespect for the land is very high in NM, perhaps this will help.
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

While I hate to see people who ruin things, I'm going to play devil's advocate for just a moment and site this:

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me

When it comes to the lands that we all pay for - we should keep this in mind - first, the bikers, then the OHV-ers, then the then the horseback riders, then the rock hounders and then the prospectors, then the metal detecorists - and then there will be nobody left to speak for us.

Beth (Mrs.O)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I don't believe that applies in this case. Dirt bike riding scofflaws should be turned in just like any other criminals.
Whats next? We shouldn't turn in child molesters and rapists because the long arm of the law might eyeball my Playboy collection?
(No I don't have a Playboy collection...honest...Just an example.)
castle

Post by castle »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote:While I hate to see people who ruin things, I'm going to play devil's advocate for just a moment and site this:

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist;
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew;
Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me

When it comes to the lands that we all pay for - we should keep this in mind - first, the bikers, then the OHV-ers, then the then the horseback riders, then the rock hounders and then the prospectors, then the metal detecorists - and then there will be nobody left to speak for us.

Beth (Mrs.O)
Very well said Mrs. O. With out usung that analogy I've been saying that since I've been on this board. There are people doing their damndest to shut down OHV use. Next it will be limited then all all mororized use. The horses and mountain bikes will be next, untill finaly the hikers will be pushed from the public land. Of couse it will be for the health and well being of all the critters, plants bugs, and lizards that live there.