cibola / zuni indians

Moderator: Jim_b

Plays In The Dirt

Re: cibola / zuni indians

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I couldn't resist the challenge of making the lettering visible enough to be able to decipher but it's such a low resolution and such a small size and poor quality that it's difficult. I got rid of the color cast and turned it in to a B&W. To me it looks just like a line of squiggles but what do I know. Perhaps the color Photo will clean-up better.

Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Greg,

silent hunter will probably kick me under the table for this, but try converting the original photo to a "negative" image. I recognized those bluiesh colors the instant I saw them. :D

Jim
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:Greg,

silent hunter will probably kick me under the table for this, but try converting the original photo to a "negative" image. I recognized those bluiesh colors the instant I saw them. :D

Jim
Yeah, the bluish color is color cast due to improper lighting. I'm not sure what you mean by converting to a "negative image". It would be great if we had the original Photo at full size to play with, hopefully the color one SH is going to post will give something to work with. I'll play with this one some more.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Greg,

Under the same options menu that you used to convert the photo to Greyscale, you should find an option for converting it to a negative image. The bluish photo is a negative image of the original. Just convert it back to a positive image by using the "negative" option again.

I use that option all the time, to look for details in my photos, that I can not see in the positive image. He told us (gave us a hint) that he had altered the colors (for the same purpose) when he posted the photo.

Jim
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:Greg,

Under the same options menu that you used to convert the photo to Greyscale, you should find an option for converting it to a negative image. The bluish photo is a negative image of the original. Just convert it back to a positive image by using the "negative" option again.

I use that option all the time, to look for details in my photos, that I can not see in the positive image. He told us that he had altered the colors when he posted the photo.

Jim
No such option in the Photoshop version that I'm using. I've got another try at it that a little better.
Plays In The Dirt

As Good As It's Going To Get

I played with it some more and this is as good as it's going to get, (with me anyway).

Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

OK...
Here is the positive image of the negative photo.

Looking at it like this, you can see where the writing was pecked into a layer of desert varnish, and where some of the glyph has been pecked away (large light spot in the top half of the photo) to erase something that had been there.

Jim

P.S. Now silent hunter knows that he is going to have to get up awful early, to get a step ahead of the "Hattman"... :D

P.P.S. I still don't know what the word is either tho.
silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by silent hunter »

Jim!!!!! Oh my, I am laughing my - Ahem - "setting place" off!!!! I am rolling on the ground. You are truly a hunter. Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you read what i wrote a few pages ago, it said. "As much truth as a tale holds so does it mislead. And thats how i tell stories", I shrunk those photos by removing pixels and added color from edit.
silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by silent hunter »

These photos do not show 1/10th of what your eye can see, and a few tools like a flashlight at night or different lights or shadows can bring out different details. They date from over 1700 years ago, up to the late eighteen hundreds. Some are worn bad from erosion. Attention to the details are a factor than can turn a search in vane. I really appreciate all your attempts at solving these clues and input into the facts. Together i think we will get thru this story and have fun doing it. Jim ill try a bit harder next time. lol!!!!!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter wrote:I really apreciate all your attemps at solving these clues and input into the facts. Togather i think we will get thru this story and have fun doing it.

Jim ill try a bit harder next time. lol!!!!!
Yo silent hunter!!!

Better not give so many clues next time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You going to tell us what that word is, that we do not have all the pixels to now? :?

~Hattman~