Re: CIBOLA ZUNI TRIP - silent hunter

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

It looks great to me Paul. I'm sure Kurt will appreciate you going all the way through it, and ironing out some of the wrinkles! It is a fascinating thread. I am truly enjoying it myself.

Jim
East Wind
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by East Wind »

Beautiful photo's, I especially love the conyon and water fall one.That would make a good painting, or just a framed photo in a gallery. Love the story too....Dee
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Paul you have made the story better than i could Imagine and I thank you!!! I would hike that trail with you anytime. There are more fingers on a Mafia bookee right hand than there are people I would take there!!
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Well thank you sincerely Kurt! I'm glad you weren't upset with any of the edits - I tried to let your story flow the way you intended and sounds like I did ok.

Incidently, I did some very brief investigating today and I've started coming across some interesting references to the areas you explored along the "barefoot trail."

I enjoy researching things, so if you're interested, I'll spend a little time putting together some information and e-mail it to you. You may have already come across alot of it in your research, but I thought I'd make you the offer.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

The way you have the thread flowing I was wondering if you knew more about the trail. There are a few "tricks in the trail" I always try to preserve the sacred areas. I Hope you all will respect that. Again paul thank you I look forward to reading what you have discovered. Have Hattman give you my personal email.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

silent hunter wrote:Paul you have made the story better than i could Imagine and I thank you!!! I would hike that trail with you anytime. There are more fingers on a Mafia bookee right hand than there are people I would take there!!
Kurt - I'm humbled and very appreciative! I can assure you that seeing that canyon and following that trail would be the highlight of my life to this point (outside of marrying my wife of course :P).

I may very well hold you to that offer sometime in the next year or two!

Sincerely - thank you!
Paul
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

On this leg of the trip I would discover the hidden spring. This basin of fine water is located near the table-land on a branch of the river Zuni, between the ruins of Ojo Pescado and the present pueblo of Zuni. It is between seven and eight feet in diameter and around it a low circular wall, from fifteen to twenty feet across, has been raised. The spring is cleared out every year, when an offering is made to the spirit of the font, of one or more water-pots, which are placed on the wall. A dozen or more whole ones were observed, while fragments abounded. Some of the remaining vases reputed to have been offered centuries ago by the pueblo caciques".
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I had lost all traces of the Zuni people I had been following they seemed to disappear like the eagle, moments before he attacks.

But like always I found the trail stretching across the end of the badlands and following the course of the Little Colorado River. These trails were cut into sand stone in places and some places were a foot deep from the feet of people over thousands of years stepping one foot after the other. If there was a outcrop of sand stone in the area of the trail, you could be assured there would be some sort of drawing on it.

The first foot print I saw was one large and one small, the prints looked like they were made when someone had walked into mud and that print was recorded forever.

After walking down that beautiful canyon for several hours I had come to a fork were the Little Colorado River turned north and west and sat there trying to chose a path when I had felt overcome with a feeling compelling my direction, so much that I almost had no choice but to continue on the west fork towards Concho Valley.

To hide the spring the Zuni Had piled up rocks to make what had appeared to be a small outcrop. It was about five feet high and looked natural. I found the Zuni at the site preparing the spring by removing the boulders and revealing an opening a couple feet wide and then crawling down inside to enjoy the water and rest inside from the elements.

The spring is located on what is protected property owned by a Rancher. I had to be very careful crossing his property. He had shot a couple people out there and everyone new that he basically owned the town and people of St. Johns. The Zuni also had trouble with the rancher. The government had given the Zuni the right to cross lands leased by the Americans, so they could still make the sacred trip.

I had found myself a spot to observe the Zuni as they prepared the spring for the followers. I had been there about one hour when behind me a voice cried out in the old way. Then in my language the voice cried out for the second time. Watsida why have you come into are valley and along are trail.

I had grabbed for my gun and jacked a round into the chamber and slid down into the rocks.

The voice again spoke. Watsida we mean no harm haven’t we guided you along your journey. Did I not give you directions and give you the power to travel with us. I still did not move I remained silent and never spoke a single word.

As with every day dusk came quick and fear again set in with the setting sun. I was out there alone and again no one new were I was. I still today travel into the unknown. It would be worse for me to leave a map of my intended route.

I decided that I should make a fire, a big fire so that I could see anybody that might try to cause me harm. The night was dark but the fire lit the area for a great distantance.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Image This is one of the places the made there foot prints on the outcrop
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Image This photo is very hard to see but it was also carved into a outcrop along the way