Re: CIBOLA ZUNI TRIP - silent hunter

Moderator: Jim_b

somehiker
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by somehiker »

Hi Kurt:
With your interests in Zuni tribal legend and lore,I have been meaning to ask you if you have any thoughts regarding the Four Stone Tablets of the Hopi,since their history is so entwined with that of the Zuni.It's an interesting legend.

Regards:Wayne
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

SH yes I know alot about the stones!!! I have a trip planned in a couple weeks to photograph the underground spring. as well as north and south mountains from a helicopter. It should be a nice ending to my Zuni story. I wont discuss the four stones on here. Use my personal email if you want to talk about the stones..
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Kurt:
I will do so when I have some time.

East Wind

Post by East Wind »

Hi Kurt,

My husband came across a stele in a big cavern that might be of some interest to you. If you are here`s my e-mail...eastwind40@gmail.com..Dee
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

East Wind. I emailed you my address, I have a few questions about the location and a few answers for you.

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Here is a photo of something that has intrigued me ever since I first saw it.I had climbed part way up the sloped side of a canyon to examine a number of small red mounds that looked to be out of place,relative to the surrounding terrain.The area at the bottom had a copious amount of potsherds,including one that appeared to have an incised human form that was unlike any sample of hohokam or salado pottery that I had ever seen before.I have, within the last few months,found two separate photos,shot from low flying aircraft,that appear to show the same image but from a greater distance.There is also,I believe, a trail that leads to this image,but not beyond.It follows the base of the sheer cliff face from the left of the photograph.There also appears to be some evidence of a man made structure at the base of the image.
This structure is visible on sat views and looks like a perfect square,about 20x20', divided into four equal sections.Identical squares are also visible on sat views at two locations that I know of,one at Twin Buttes and one elsewhere in the Tonto Wilderness area.I have yet to actually visit any of these squares,having set aside this part of my research in favour of the Stone Maps.I made one attempt to climb up to the base of the image,but had to turn back because the slope was literally crawling with diamondbacks taking advantage of the early morning sunshine on the slope.Since I was in the neighbourhood already,I chose instead to have a look at what might be along the top of the bluff that the figure seemed to be looking toward.There I found a small rock enclosure,about 10'x15',built into a crevasse in the rock.

The image may be difficult to make out in this photo.I spotted it whilst scanning the cliff for cave dwellings that I suspected might be up there,and took the photo at 5x zoom as I recall.
If you search the terms "aztec gods" and "mayan gods" you will find many features similar to what appears to make up this image.Note the pile of circular objects visible beneath the arms of this serpent-like image,then look to the right and note a second pile within the small opening in the rocks.
An interesting comparison can be found by searching the term "Quetzalcoatl".The result should bring you a wikpedia article with an aztec depiction that is very similar to this image on the canyon wall.

The mayans also shared similar beliefs in a serpent like god,Gukumatz.
Their legends of Gukumatz and the rebirth of the mayans also fit the image well.

A quote from the Wiki page on the topic says..."Among the Aztecs, whose beliefs are the best-documented in the historical sources, Quetzalcoatl was related to gods of the wind, of Venus, of the dawn, of merchants and of arts, crafts and knowledge. He was also the patron god of the Aztec priesthood, of learning and knowledge."

I highlighted to section that could explain why the image may exist...if it is real,of course.
This may actually be the last of a row of images,running left to right along the cliff.From the bluff with the ruin,again looking thru binoculars in the quickly diminishing rays of a setting sun,I briefly glimpsed what appeared to be a similarly sized (about 25-30' high) pair of stalking or possibly charging warrior type figures.

I cannot say for sure that any of this is man made,but it has led me in some interesting directions regarding my research into the known history of the superstitions.I will be climbing that slope sometime in the future...when it's too hot or too cold for living reptiles of course.I now have a pretty good idea of what to look for when I get there,based on other similar archaeological finds of a similar nature,so it should make for an interesting day.

Regards:Somehiker

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

This may help.

silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Wayne let me know when your coming next. I will hike with you if you would like.

Best Wishes
Kurt Painter
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Will do,Kurt.
We can go in for a better look at that thing and check out what else might be there.
Send me your E-Mail address and I will let you know when.
I still want to discuss the Hopi stones,once I get my research desktop's power source replaced.
I've got lots of good photos and stuff on it's two hard drives that I want to be able to access soon.
I think that Paul is still waiting for some pics as well. :oops: