SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Moderator: somehiker

revaeb
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS

Post by revaeb »

Thanks for the quick replies! I am very excited to have found these forums. I have already spent quite a bit of time reading on the site. I work at night and have quite a bit of time to read and follow the topics. Its addicting.

I too am hoping Tom K can chime in. I have been going through his articles that he has written, and can't get enough. He seems like the type of guy you could talk to for hours and hours. How awesome it would be his son or grandson!!

Anyway, Thanks again guys for the great site. I'm always reluctant to post in new forums as sometimes the "experts" tend to jump all over newer people who are just getting in to the topics at hand, and are not always patient.

Mitch
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I am glad you are enjoying the site Mitch,

We try to maintain the kind of friendly atmosphere here that all members feel comfortable participating in.

All of the moderators in these forums are very familiar with the kind of "experts" you are referring to, (AKA Internet Trolls, Bullies and BS'ers who try to dominate the discussions) and we are not a bit shy about removing inappropriate posts, and the people who make them if necessary to maintain the desired atmosphere here.

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!

Best,

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Hi Mitch:

I have been quite busy for the last four or five weeks. The old Kennedy Ranch has some very interesting history. I would recommend you contact Jack Carlson, or Jack San Felice through the Superstition Mountain Museum. The topic you are talking about would be best handled by these gentlemen. I knew Bill Bohme and Royce Johnson. Bill had the lease on the Kennedy Ranch for a while and so did Jack Reeder. I helped Jack Reeder a couple of times over the years. I spent several weeks riding that country over the years and photographing remote areas. Both men have since passed away. Billy Martin Jr. spent a lot of time in that country, however he is now incapacitated. I would highly recommend Jack Carlson and Elizabeth Stewart's book which is a guidebook on the eastern half of the Superstition Wilderness Area. Jack and Elizabeth have provided some real detail information about the Kennedy Ranch, Horrell Ranch, Toney Ranch, and other old time homesteads in the area. The books are available at the Superstition Mountain Museum on the Apache Trail just northeast of the Apache Junction city limits where SR 88 (Apache Trail) crosses Weekes (Goldfield) Wash.

Hope this information helps you out.

Take care,

Tom K.
revaeb

Post by revaeb »

Tom,

Thanks for the help. I will try to get in contact with those folks. The guy that took us out when he was working his lion dogs was named Royce. I cant remember what his last name was, but im 90% sure that we are talking about the same Royce. He was really fun to listen to. LOTS of great stories. Thanks again guys for the info!!

-Mitch
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

MITCH:

I am sure that was Royce Johnson. I think Royce ran the Kennedy Ranch for Bill Bohme. Royce's wife Kathy was the police dispatcher for the Globe Police Department for many years. I believe Bill Bohme was her father. There is a lot of information about the Bohme family in the Miami Museum at the Bullion House in Miami, Arizona.

Tom K.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Speaking of place names has anyone ever visited the Kennedy earth crack in the southeast portion of the SWA? I was there about twelve years ago and somebody had rigged up a windless to lower something into the crevice. There is a story about old man Kennedy finding gold in this area or around the earth crack. Of course it is nothing but a story. Sooner or later I will do a column on the Kennedy earth crack or fissure.

Take care, Tom K.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

LDMGOLD wrote:Speaking of place names has anyone ever visited the Kennedy earth crack in the southeast portion of the SWA? I was there about twelve years ago and somebody had rigged up a windless to lower something into the crevice. There is a story about old man Kennedy finding gold in this area or around the earth crack. Of course it is nothing but a story. Sooner or later I will do a column on the Kennedy earth crack or fissure.

Take care, Tom K.
Never heard of it Tom - looking forward to an article about it as it sounds interesting
revaeb

Post by revaeb »

Haven't been there either but would love to see it
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

HELP!

The old method of posting photos on Desert USA doesn't work anymore for me. Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?

Tom K.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Tom,

Nothing has changed at DUSA. Photobucket has recently made some changes in the way their website is laid out and that may be where you are having a problem.

The process is still the same there tho, where you copy the [IMG] link and paste it into you post.

Best,

Jim