Solar vs Tortoises

Sal

Re: Solar vs Tortoises

Post by Sal »

When the "experts" did the tortoise relocation, many of the animlas were promptly eaten by coyotes in the new habitat
Exactly. So how can they suggest we do this again?

As far as population density of tortoise in the West Mojave (mentioned in an earlier post), I have personally seen these numbers tank over the past 15 years of tortoise watching.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sal wrote:10:01 PM PDT on Tuesday, October 19, 2010

By DAVID DANELSKI
The Press-Enterprise

The number of desert tortoises living in the path of the nation's first large-scale solar energy project on public land is proving to be more than expected.
Since the BrightSource Energy Co. broke ground Oct. 8 in northeast San Bernardino County, wildlife biologists walking ahead of heavy construction equipment on a small portion of the project site have found 17 tortoises, according to a company consultant.

RELATED
Native Americans object to energy projects

Federal biologists say they are surprised by the early numbers, because the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that 32 tortoises live in the entire 5.6-square-mile site. This estimate was used to support the conclusion that the development would not cause significant harm to the reptiles, a threatened species.

Further environmental analysis may be required if tortoise numbers are far higher than expected -- possibly leading to delays or changes in the project.
BrightSource spokesman Adam Eventov said the company is monitoring the tortoise situation closely.

"At this point, it's a snapshot," Eventov said. "It's too early to know how many will be moved until we spend more time in the field."

The project, in the Ivanpah Valley near Primm, Nev., is favored by the Obama and Schwarzenegger administrations because it will provide clean electricity for as many as 140,000 homes and help reduce global warming.

Story continues below

Silvia Flores/The Press-Enterprise

Biologists expected the whole solar site to have some 32 tortoises, but 17 have already been found one just one small portion of the land.

Opponents

Some environmental groups oppose the development and say renewable energy projects should be built on former farms and other land that doesn't have value as wildlife habitat.

The Ivanpah Valley is proving to be better habitat than previously believed. Surveys commissioned by BrightSource in 2007 and 2008 found only 16 tortoises within the entire 5.6 square miles, and company officials have said only a small number of tortoises would be affected.

The surveys, done by the Colorado-based CH2M Hill engineering and environmental consulting firm, were later were used by Fish and Wildlife to estimate that 32 tortoises lived in the project's footprint. The higher number took into account tortoises that may have been in underground burrows during the counts.

Based on the estimate of 32 animals, Fish and Wildlife found that the development would not "impede the survival or recovery of the desert tortoises in a measurable manner," a conclusion required for BrightSource to move forward.

The finding, called a biological opinion, will become void if more than 38 tortoises have to be relocated, said Brian Croft, a Fish and Wildlife senior biologist. If that occurs, a new analysis will be required to determine whether the project puts the species in jeopardy. A jeopardy finding could delay or limit the development.

Story continues below

Biologists working for BrightSource so far have focused on a swath being cleared for fencing around the southern third of the solar development. Tortoises found in the way are outfitted with radio transmitters for tracking before being placed outside the fence.

The 17 animals already found will not count toward the total, because they can be moved a short distance to safety, Croft said. Tortoises found in the interior of the site, farther from the fence, will have to be relocated.
Those tortoises will be held in pens for the winter and then moved to the base of the Clark Mountains northwest of the project property.

Mercy Vaughn, a lead biologist under contract to BrightSource, said various factors could have contributed to the low tortoise counts in 2007 and 2008. Among other possibilities, those surveys were done during drier weather and in spring when males are less active, she said.

Tally expected to rise

Larry LaPre, a wildlife biologist for the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the area leased to the Oakland-based solar developer, said he was surprised by the early numbers and expects the tortoise count to go up.

Other biologists said the century-old creosote bushes that dominate the valley provide shade for tortoises and harbor plants the animals eat during the spring.

Environmentalists have filed a petition asking the California Energy Commission to withdraw its approval of the project. They contend the tortoises in the Ivanpah Valley have unique genetics that have allowed them to adapt to higher-altitude habitat. That trait is expected the help the species survive global warming, said Beatty, Nev., resident Kevin Emmerich, of Basin and Range Watch.

The commission is scheduled to consider the petition on Tuesday.
Reach David Danelski at 951-368-9471 or ddanelski@PE.com

Cynical? What Brew posted isn't that cynical. I've got cynical for you:

I find it interesting how the very same people who discuss how few desert tortoises there are as a direct result of OHV use, how sickly they are, and that they are dying off in supposedly alarming numbers, are the first people to jump up and down to complain how many perfectly healthy desert tortoises a given project is going to affect, if approved.

Well, maybe that's more hypocrisy than cynicism. OK. I'll go along with that.
Dan

Post by Dan »

LeeVW wrote:I share Brew's sentiment and cynicism. Like Sal, I am very much for protecting the desert tortoise. I am also for public access to public land, and combining the two of these can be a tricky business. Personally, I think dirt bikes and tortoises can get along better than large scale power plants and tortoises.

The reality of Green Energy is it's not very good for the environment. From the mining and transportation of heavy metals for batteries to the bulldozing of tortoise habitat for solar farms, the environment is heavily affected by just about every form of "green" energy. I think the main reason "green" energy is so popular is most people won't SEE the effects. You can't see the open pit mine, the bladed habitat, or the miles of power line access roads when you're on your way to Starbucks. It's politically-driven feel-good environmentalism, and it sells like hot cakes.

Wanna be green? I mean REALLY green? The roof top solar panels Sal mentioned are a good suggestion. Only trouble is the power companies can't make money that way, and that's what the green in Green Energy is really all about.

Tortoise Fun

In the article Sal posted, it was found that the number of tortoises originally thought to be in the 5.6 square mile area was actually only half of what a later study discovered. I wonder if this is true for the rest of the Mojave, that the actual number of tortoises could be double what we think? This certainly can't be the case, but it is a bit thought provoking!

Lee
Lee and Brew are spot-on IMHO. Even plug-in hybrid automobiles are hard on the environment. What people don't think of is that if we outlawed internal combustion engines today, aside from the obvious collapse of our economy, the use of coal, natural gas, oil, wood, hydroelectric, and other "non-renewable" energy sources would skyrocket just to provide the extra power needed to charge millions of huge automobile batteries every day.

Further, solar, geothermal, wind, and other somewhat promising technologies don't have the capacity to power our full needs, and likely never will. Some experts estimate we might get to 10% over the next decade, but that we simply don't have the infrastructure or the reliability to be able to guarantee much more than that. Every increase in the available energy from renewable resources is met with at least as large an increase in demand for those resources. Once we commit, and rely primarily on "renewable" resources, having the power grid go down for more than a few days in urban areas is a recipe for an economic collapse and/or very widespread civil unrest. Reliance on such a system is not currently an option. Personally, I believe we need all sources of energy in order to continue to reliably power our demands. Drill baby, drill!!! Build nuclear power plants, and while those are in process, build more natural gas fired power plants. Explore the feasibility of neighborhood nukes. Continue to develop hydrogen-fueled vehicles. We're simply not going to scale back our power demands to meet the capabilities of the few "renewable resources" environmentalists endorse (as long as it's located in someone else's back yard).
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

S.o.s.d.d. same ol stuff different day. My place in the desert is off the grid and I'm working on total self sufficiency. There is an abndance of sun and wind providing a free source of energy. I use this to power lights, pump and heat water and warm my cabin with the daylight. Do we need massive powergenerating schemes? There is a company that produces roofing shingles with built in photovotaic cells. The west is blessed with an abundance of both sun and wind. It's like I say, if the sun aint shining, the wind is blowing. Selfsufficiency means no electric bill. Of course, the internal combustion engine is a valuable tool. What we can do is be smarter about how we use this energy that the world now depends upon. The increasing cost of gasoline is one example of something that inspires creative thought about how best to use it.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

A good example would be found in my water supply. On my high desert land, I have two seperate wells. One is powered by an internal combustion engine that generates electrical power to pump water up to a watertank located above my cabin. The other well is aprox 300' deep and powered exclusivly by solar generated electricity. It also pumps crystal pure bacteria free water to the same water tank (as well as numerous trees on a drip system along the way). The electrical energy is generated exactly at the source where it's required. There is no need to tap into a power grid generated by a for profit corporation in the desert right outside of Las Vegas. No need for a string of powerlines streching hundreds of miles either. And certainly, there is no need for neighborhood nuclear generating plants. When Dan got into the progress blog started by my daughter, that was a prime example of how he got the reputation of being a stalker. The purpose of that blog to inform friends and family of the horrific accident I suffered last father's day, and how I was doing. I was responding to an emergency call at the trauma center when I narrowly escaped death by avoiding an oncoming car in my lane at 3:45am. I suddenly became the patient in the trauma center and remained comatose for quite some time. Fortunatly, I am alive today! I was recovering at Casa Colina when the tragic accident occured in the Johnson Valley OHV area, killing 8 and injuring 10 others enough to require hospitalization. I can relate to the horrific pain suffered by those who suffer traumatic injuries. I feel so blessed to be alive and yesterday passed my final round of testing required to legally drive in the state of California. Although my body is full of titanium plates, rods and screws, I am able to walk (sometimes even without a cane!) Although I suffer blindnss in my right eye due to cranial nerve damage, I can see pretty good with the left. And, go figure..... even though I suffer left facial paralysis and shattered sinuses, I can still smell the sage on a rainswept day! I am so grateful to be alive! What a way to become retired. I figgure that since I'm only 54 years old, I've got alot of life left to enjoy. What better place to enjoy it is in the beautiful western deserts and mountains of the good ol USA. I plan on hangin around DUSA and enjoying all of the cool things this website has to offer. Where to go and what to do???? Hmmmmm whats next?
Dan

Post by Dan »

Sandman wrote:A good example would be found in my water supply. On my high desert land, I have two seperate wells. One is powered by an internal combustion engine that generates electrical power to pump water up to a watertank located above my cabin. The other well is aprox 300' deep and powered exclusivly by solar generated electricity. It also pumps crystal pure bacteria free water to the same water tank (as well as numerous trees on a drip system along the way). The electrical energy is generated exactly at the source where it's required. There is no need to tap into a power grid generated by a for profit corporation in the desert right outside of Las Vegas. No need for a string of powerlines streching hundreds of miles either. And certainly, there is no need for neighborhood nuclear generating plants. When Dan got into the progress blog started by my daughter, that was a prime example of how he got the reputation of being a stalker. ...?
Not sure what you are referring to, Sandman. "Got into the progress blog..."??? The address for that webpage was posted here, I dropped in there a few times to check on your progress because I was concerned for you, a fellow human being with whom I've had disagreements, but nonetheless a fellow human being. I posted here on one thread where people can go to donate blood to help ensure that there was plenty on hand for your recovery, because your daughter posted it over there. I wished you well and a speedy recovery. And the best you can do is call me a "stalker"???

Seriously???

There aren't words...
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Honesty is something I have always held close to my heart and soul. Remember, as an eagle from long ago, I have devoted my life to helping those who are less fortunate. Anyway, the water that is pumped from beneath the earth is pure and sweet. Power to bring it to the surface comes directly from the sun. When the days grow long and hot, it's coolness refreshes my body and quenches my thirst after working in the desert sun. I spent a few days last week at my cabin. The coyotes returned my howls of hello. That sure got the neighbors dogs barking! Next journey takes me south to Escondido and San Diego. This spring I plan on fishing off the coast of central and southern baja. There's nothing tastier than fresh seafood.......adios!
Brew

Post by Brew »

Speaking of water, I found an answer to my question of water use in the solar/steam systems. This is for the proposed Solar Millennium project near Ridgecrest.

In a June 24, 2010 letter, the BLM Ridgecrest Field Office Steering Committee came out in opposition to the project stating it would use approximately 600,000 gallons of water a day during construction and 200,000 gallons a day during operation.

http://www.ridgecrestca.com/news/x92530 ... ws-project

That doesn't sound very environmentally sound.

Brew
Dan

Post by Dan »

While I'm ecstatic that driving a hybrid car makes some people happy, the benefits of such are only those that can be seen by the user. The narrative is that greater fuel economy means fewer emissions, and that electric-only plug-in vehicles are the best, because they have no internal combustion engine.

The reality is that equal emissions are created in many cases, just to provide the power which charges those batteries. Yes, some electrical power is provided by renewable clean sources. But line losses, a sometimes awkward mix of technologies, and inefficiencies at the generation level all combine to make the mass generation of power far less environmentally "clean" and efficient than many people care to admit.

But it's not as visible from the tailpipe of your hybrid, so you think it's actually cleaner. Another case of what you can't see must not exist?

I like the idea of self-generated power. I think it's got potential to solve some of the problems of mass-generated power. I don't begrudge a company its profit as some do, but remember these people operate as public utilities. They are heavily regulated, and their profit and loss structure is subject to constant oversight. They can't do anything without approval and without it becoming public knowledge eventually. And elected officials control their destiny, ultimately. If you don't like the fact that they are actually making a profit, or the actions they propose to take, then perhaps you should blame our elected officials in various government agencies who control policies which govern that industry, rather than blaming the for-profit motive as if capitalism had anything to do with the problem.

Perfect is the enemy of good.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Sandman,

Congrats on getting your license back! Now you can hit the trail again and do some more exploring!

Brew,

As you have discovered, solar plants are extremely hard on the environment. Not only do they deplete the water table so springs and seeps run dry, they require huge swaths of land that must be bladed laser lever, killing everything in the entire area. Nothing lives under those giant fields of mirrors.

Dan,

Come on, you know that electric cars are zero-emission! Electricity comes out of the wall!

Seriously, the big joke with electric and hybrid vehicles has to do with the fact that the batteries are so toxic. Heavy metals must be mined (mining is bad, but they do most of it in Canada, which makes it ok). The equipment used to dig the mines burns tons of diesel fuel (lots of pollution and fossil fuel burned here), and then the raw materials must be transported (diesel powered big rigs) to the factories where the batteries are made (only they are made in China, so we have to add many more tons of diesel fuel burned on the ships that transport the stuff over there). China doesn't really have any environmental laws, so the highly toxic and environmentally destructive process of manufacturing batteries can take place, but it's in China so that's ok. Next, the batteries are shipped to Japan where the Prius is made (more fuel burned), the cars are built (carbon footprint really ramping up now), and then sent over to Amerika (ships and trucks once again).

Then the batteries must be replaced after a few years because they don't last very long. The replacement cost is more than any savings in fuel. The average American consumer won't see that cost, as he buys a new car every few years. And the process starts all over.