Moab, Bryce & Zion Campgrounds

Moderator: Jim_b

Borrego Linda
The middle number please (4): 7

Moab, Bryce & Zion Campgrounds

Post by Borrego Linda »

We're going to be hitting these areas this summer and looking for a nice tent campground, preferable with showers! Any recommendations? I've found quite a few online but personal experience is always a plus!
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Moab, Bryce & Zion Campgrounds

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Can't help with the campground but most of the ones we saw when going thru there looked real nice at the state parks.

Don....
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Calf Creek between Escalante and Boulder. No showers but a very beautiful place. camping is first come, first serve so arrive early when people are leaving. From the campground, it's an easy 3 mile hike up the canyon to where the waterfall cascades over the red rock cliffs into a cool clear aqua tourquoise pool.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

There are numerous RV CG's right in Moab. Some are walking distance to downtown if you like that sort of camping. Others are a mile or two north or south of town. There's not a lot of difference in them, just call around or check websites for prices, etc. Most can be found at-
www.discovermoab.com
I think the CG at Arches NP has showers and you can reserve a site online or show up at the entrance early in the morning and hope you can get a site, but that CG is terminally full during the summer.
Goblin Valley State Park has showers and it makes for an interesting stop. It's just north of Hanksville, UT.
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

I've camped at the Zion National Park campgounds a number of times and they have none.
However, I would suggest looking at a nearby private, campground and seeing if they would let you shower for a modest fee.
Friend of mine did that in Kanab when we were camping down on the Strip.

We go to Borrego Springs for a weekend each fall and spring.
Have we met at Carlee's Place?
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

CowboySlim wrote:I've camped at the Zion National Park campgounds a number of times and they have none.
However, I would suggest looking at a nearby private, campground and seeing if they would let you shower for a modest fee.
Friend of mine did that in Kanab when we were camping down on the Strip.

We go to Borrego Springs for a weekend each fall and spring.
Have we met at Carlee's Place?
Probably not...we tend to stay out of there on the weekends during the season! Too crowded! But maybe we can meet up sometime.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

I stayed at Petrified Forest State park, in Escalante, UT. I think the name has been changed to Grand Staircase state park. I was a lot less crowed (our group was the only ones there in the Fall) than Calf Creek camp area. I agree with Sandman, the Waterfalls are very nice, and worth the walk, and is even better (IMO) if it’s raining.

There are tons of camp opportunities along your route, I did not like Goblin Valley campsites and camped in a neat canyon a few miles down the road outside the park. But Goblin Valley is well worth seeing/visiting. I have never camped in Bryce or Zion.

Most times I go to Moab I just get a condo, works better for us. We had a bad mosquito problem at Slickrock Campground many years ago, but that could have been a ‘time of year’ problem, either way I’d say camp away from the river. I been to visit people at Sand Canyon Campground and it didn’t look that good, and may not have showers.

I have not been to any of those popular places during summer so making plans in advance should be a good idea. Good luck and let us know how your trip goes.